Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

Intel HLS compiler - Hitting Fatal Error when linking export_tramp.so library

Muralidhar_S_Intel

I am trying to get the "counter" example from the Intel HLS tool to compile and work . I have done all the setup appropriately and I am using the quartus and HLS version 19.4.

After installing the required GCC for the HLS, I am seeing a vsim error ( ModelSim) during elab.

Error message :

# /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/host/linux64/lib/libhls_cosim_msim32

# -dpioutoftheblue 1 -sv_lib /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/host/linux64/lib/libhls_cosim_msim32

# [exec] elab

# vsim -dpioutoftheblue 1 -sv_lib /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/host/linux64/lib/libhls_cosim_msim32 -L work -L work_lib -L altera_ver -L lpm_ver -L sgate_ver -L altera_mf_ver -L altera_lnsim_ver -L twentynm_ver -L twentynm_hssi_ver -L twentynm_hip_ver -L altera -L lpm -L sgate -L altera_mf -L altera_lnsim -L twentynm -L twentynm_hssi -L twentynm_hip -L avalon_concatenate_singlebit_conduits_10 -L cat_done -L cat_cwfsw -L avalon_conduit_fanout_10 -L resize_ir_cfan -L hls_sim_stream_source_dpi_bfm_10 -L sso_resize_original_image -L resize_cfan -L sso_resize_cols -L sso_resize_ratio -L resize_en_cfan -L resize_internal_10 -L resize -L hls_sim_component_dpi_controller_10 -L dpic_resize -L hls_sim_main_dpi_controller_10 -L main_dpi_controller -L hls_sim_stream_sink_dpi_bfm_10 -L ssi_resize_resized_image -L resize_osacat -L sso_resize_rows -L avalon_split_multibit_conduit_10 -L sp_cstart -L hls_sim_clock_reset_10 -L clock_reset -L altera_irq_mapper_191 -L tb tb.tb

# Start time: 12:12:12 on Jan 13,2020

# ** Fatal: ** Fatal: (vsim-3827) Could not compile 'export_tramp.so': cmd = '/home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/gcc/bin/gcc -shared -fPIC -m32 -B/usr/lib32 -g -I. -I"/home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/modelsim_ae/include" -I"/home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/modelsim_ae/../oem/include" -o "/tmp/inteluser@IL-ACL-NUC-07_dpi_4608/linuxpe_gcc-5.4.0/export_tramp.so" "/tmp/inteluser@IL-ACL-NUC-07_dpi_4608/linuxpe_gcc-5.4.0/export_tramp.S"'

# (vsim-50) A call to system(/home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/gcc/bin/gcc -shared -fPIC -m32 -B/usr/lib32 -g -I. -I"/home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/modelsim_ae/include" -I"/home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/modelsim_ae/../oem/include" -o "/tmp/inteluser@IL-ACL-NUC-07_dpi_4608/linuxpe_gcc-5.4.0/export_tramp.so" "/tmp/inteluser@IL-ACL-NUC-07_dpi_4608/linuxpe_gcc-5.4.0/export_tramp.S" >'/tmp/questatmp.R7Tvdk' 2>&1) returned error code '1'.

# The logfile contains the following messages:

# /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/gcc/bin/ld: skipping incompatible /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/gcc/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/5.4.0/libgcc.a when searching for -lgcc

# /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/gcc/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc

# /home/inteluser/Desktop/intelFPGA_pro/19.4/hls/gcc/bin/ld: cannot find -lgcc_s

# collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know the OS version used?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Muralidhar_S_Intel
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi, 

May I know the information as below for further investigate: 

1. Modelsim edition and version

2. It look like you are using gcc v5.4.0. please confirm

3. Is there any other version of Quartus / HlS in this machine?

Also, do you have install the 32bits of the libraries? This is because Modelsim require all 32bits of libraries to be install. 

Thanks

0 Kudos
Muralidhar_S_Intel

Thanks. Here is the information.

1. ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition - Part of the Quartus 19.4 package.
  2. Yes. The GCC version is right. It's been built for the HLS from the 19.4 package.
  3. No, this i the only version.

I believe I have installed all the 32 bits of the libraries, when I tried to compile GCC and Modelsim. Packages like libc6-i386, gcc-multilib, g++-multilib etc.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I had reviewed the readme.txt in the quartus installation path. In the readme.txt stated as below:

ModelSim-Intel FPGA is supported only on Windows 7 SP1, Windows 10, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6, Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7, and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12.

ModelSim-Intel FPGA is not supported for all version of Ubuntu which is inlcuded Ubuntu 14.04, Ubuntu 16.04 and Ubuntu 18.04.

For more information about OS support, you may look into the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/os-support.html

Thanks

0 Kudos
Muralidhar_S_Intel

Thanks Mylee for updating on this. I will try to install a different Linux version.

0 Kudos