Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Intel Monito Program FAILS in manage header files.

StefanoMarsi
New Contributor I

After several test I realize that if you need to manage separately source files (.c) and header files (.h) including both in your project using Intel Monitor Program, there is no way to distinguish between them.

Both of them are considered as "source file" and the compilation fails.

The only way I found to bypass this problem is:

1. open the <name_of_project.amp> file
2. substitute the line 
<source_file filepath="true">header_file.h</source_file>
with 
<header_file filepath="true">header_file.h</header_file>
3. erase the file "amp.mk"
4. re-launch the compilation.

Any other suggestions are welcome

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Kenny_Tan

Hi,

Just to double check, this is related to FPGA, right?

https://ftp.intel.com/Public/Pub/fpgaup/pub/Teaching_Materials/current/tutorials/Intel_FPGA_Monitor_Program_NiosII.pdf

Thanks,

BEst regards,

Kenny Tan

0 Kudos
StefanoMarsi
New Contributor I

Of course it is !

Intel Monitor Program (or in the past Altera Monitor Program) is a University tool to manage DEx-SoC Boards.

looking inside the "amp.mk" related to a  project composed by three file:

- sample_program_ARM.c

- ADXL345.c
- ADXL345.h

This is how it appears: 

..... missing ....

# Files
HDRS := 
SRCS := Accelerometer_Design_Files/design_files/sample_program_ARM.c Accelerometer_Design_Files/design_files/ADXL345.c  Accelerometer_Design_Files/design_files/ADXL345.h
OBJS := $(patsubst %, %.o, $(SRCS))

and this is how it SHOULD be

..... missing ....
# Files
HDRS := Accelerometer_Design_Files/design_files/ADXL345.h
SRCS := Accelerometer_Design_Files/design_files/sample_program_ARM.c Accelerometer_Design_Files/design_files/ADXL345.c
OBJS := $(patsubst %, %.o, $(SRCS))

But inside Monitor Program I found no option to manage it. 
The only way is to modify manually the file even if it is clearly written:

# Created by the Intel FPGA Monitor Program
# DO NOT MODIFY

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Greetings and welcome to Intel's forum for discussion.

I am glad you managed to find a workaround for this issue. May I confirm with you the Quartus version that you are using?

With the suggestion you recommended by changing the header files, is it still a roadblock towards your project?

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly

0 Kudos
StefanoMarsi
New Contributor I

Thank you for your feedback

Actually, I'm using Quartus 22.1 (but this should be quite independent after the .sof generation)
and Intel Monitor Program 21.1.

The problem is limited in the auto-generation of the "amp.mk" provided by MP that does not distinguish between source files and header files. With the suggested workaround everything seems to work properly.

I leave this note to help other users and hoping the developers of MP would provide a correct version for the feature

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Thank you so much for your feedback for the community and us Intel.

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos