Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Is it not possible to use all clock outputs of an Arria 10 IOPLL

Jens
Novice

I'm using the 10AX048H4F34E3SG device with 130 LVDS data pairs connected. The LVDS pins are distributed over 6 IO-banks.
All pins feed to a GPIO primitive (ddr mode). The clock for the GPIO comes from the PLL in the same IO-bank. For a group of signals I want use 8 clock outputs of that PLL for a dynamic phase shift.
To realize phase shift for all 130 pins I want to use 34 different clocks which feeds the full rate clock input of the GPIO.

During fit Quartus produce some errors:
The Fitter cannot place 1 auto-promoted clock driver, which is within IOPLL Intel FPGA IP sen_pll_altera_iopll_181_qprrpya
Error (177032): Section clock (SCLK) network in spine clock region bounded by (109,0) and (148,31) is congested due to limited connectivity

Info (18630): This congestion may be avoided by moving or disabling promotion of any of the following competing signals:
Info (175030): Unroutable signal:
Info (175026): Source: auto-promoted clock driver deserializer:DESER|sen_pll:SENPLL_3|sen_pll_altera_iopll_181_qprrpya:iopll_0|altera_iopll:altera_iopll_i|twentynm_iopll_ip:twentynm_pll|outclk[2]~CLKENA0

I have done a second run with that constraint:
set_instance_assignment -name GLOBAL_SIGNAL OFF -to "deserializer:DESER|sen_pll:SENPLL_3|sen_pll_altera_iopll_181_qprrpya:iopll_0|altera_iopll:altera_iopll_i|twentynm_iopll_ip:twentynm_pll|outclk[2]~CLKENA0

But there is no effect. The error remains. I also tried to switch off the Auto Global Clock option in the dvanced Fitter Settings but the error remains.

Why is it not possible to use all clock outputs of a PLL? When I reduce the number of clocks than fitting is successfully.

Jens

0 Kudos
23 Replies
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

Hi Jen

That would be down to the design limitation where the fitter couldn't fit all the required output clocks from PLLs, if reducing the clocks are not possible and all the resource assignment are almost full.

Thanks.

Eng Wei 

0 Kudos
EngWei_O_Intel
Employee

I will transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Jens
Novice

Hi Eng Wei

I made a stripped down version of this project so you can check the quartus errors.

Jens

0 Kudos