Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Issue with Micron MT25QL128 booting up at cold

KMico
Beginner

I have a design that has a Cyclone V FPGA using a MT25QL128 quad-spi config flash. The config flash is having an issue booting up at cold (< -10 deg C) when utilizing Active Serial x4. If I create a .jic file that only uses Active Serial x1, the flash boots up fine but I'm no longer meeting my boot-up time spec. The active serial clock source is being driven by the 100MHz internal oscillator. Any ideas on the different performance I'm seeing when using ASx1 vs ASx4?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Khye,

By seeing at the description, it seems like either the device or board trace is having problem in low temperature (-10 Degree Celcius). May i know what is the Cyclone V Device OPN you use? Also, have you probed the configuration pin? is there any undesired signal?

ASx4 has more data line than ASx1, thus it is faster in term of data transferring.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
KMico
Beginner

I am using a 5CGTFD5C5F23I7 Cyclone V FPGA. At cold the nCONFIG pin of the FPGA stays low. I've also noticed that the CSn, SCLK, and Data lines of the flash will continuously toggle when at cold, and will repeatedly do so until the part warms up enough to program and they exhibit their normal behavior (when tested on the bench using freeze spray).

-KM

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Kyle,

I have checked the Cyclone V that you are using, seems like it is able to work at low temperature up to -40 C. Can you please check if the micron is able to work at low temperature?

Also, may i know how many unit is impacted? or it is just 1? If it so, i would encourage to do ERMA.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
bitwise
New Contributor I

​KM - You mentioned that nCONFIG stays low.  Since that is an input to your FPGA it would explain why it's not configuring; the part is waiting for nCONFIG to be deasserted since configuration begins on the low-to-high transition of nCONFIG.  Sounds like there is something wrong outside the FPGA.  Start looking into the logic that drives the nCONFIG net.

YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

HI KM,

Do you have any update on this? Have you tried what have been suggested by me and craig holmberg?

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos