Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

JAMPLAYER for ARM

MYoha
Partner

Hi,

We have a customer running into jamplayer error ('syntax error') message.

They are running it after porting to ARMv8 (64-bit).

Error message attached.

Are there additional steps required before running jamplayer on ARMv8?

The error appears to be related to jamarray.c line ~694.

Uncompressed_length is coming back with -145804055115961248 , and out_size = 27744 

Why is uncompressed length value a negative number?

In addition, out_size in jamexec.c shows calling jam_uncompress (vs. in jamarray.c which uses heap_record dimension for calculating the value)

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

May I know how do you implement the JAM player and how do you create the JAM file? Are you using the source code from https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/support-resources/download/programming/jam.html without modification?

0 Kudos
MYoha
Partner

Hi,

Thanks, yes, using the source from the link you sent.

jamstub.c was modified to reflect the correct port addresses on the board, then the .c source files were compiled on ARMv8 platform.

JAM was created by compiling the HDL after selecting JEDEC STAPL Format File (.jam) in Device and Pin Options dialog, under Programming Files.

0 Kudos
MYoha
Partner

Hi,

Additionally, are there any other ways of programming the MAXV from linux on the processor besides using jamplayer?

Also, are there any additional advantage between using quartus_cpf vs. gui to generate jam file?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It should be similar but you can try to see if you are observing the issue. Are you using blaster to configure the device or Arm GPIO to directly configure it? If you are using USB-Blaster then you can try using Quartus Programmer Standalone Toolkit.

0 Kudos
MYoha
Partner

Hi,

The customer is trying to configure through ARM GPIO

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you share with me the modified code and how can we duplicate the issue?

0 Kudos
MYoha
Partner

John,

Replicating the issue requires to have ARMv8 JTAG connected to MAXV, do you have such a platform?

John, what is JAM player’s replacement?

What is the recommended method of programming the POF from a processor (i.e. not using blaster, but, through jtag port from processor to MAXV)

Also, are there any additional advantage between using quartus_cpf vs. gui to generate jam file?

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Unfortunately, I also does not have the board. This source code is for your reference and modify it on your own. We only provide best effort support on this as the JAM STAPL has been EOL.

0 Kudos