Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

JTAG not being able to connect to and identify 10M50DAF256

GhamdiASA
Beginner

Hello,

We built a custom board and we are using 10M50DAF256. We tried to program the FPGA using JTAG, but we continue to get "not able to identify a device" every time we attempt to make a connection. It's not a JTAG device issue since we can connect and program other intel FPGA dev kits, including 10M50DA.

We rechecked our schematic and PCB, but we didn't find anything wrong with it. I attached Power and JTAG parts of the schematic. Could you please check it and see if there's anything wrong? We currently suspect that the pulls-ups should have been connected to 2.5V instead of 3.3V since this is mentioned in the Pin Connection Guidelines, but we are not sure since it is allowed to connect VCCIO1B to 3.3V.

JTAG.JPGPower.JPGTDI.JPG

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

-To be confirm, this is a custom board, not Intel devkit?

-Has this custom board ever work before?

-I understand that it is not JTAG device issue, however, have you try with another USB Blaster and see if it works?

-Whta is the quartus version that was used?

-Can you provide us the screenshot of the error? error message with error code.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
GhamdiASA
Beginner

Hello Aiman,

- Yes, this is our own custom board and not a dev kit.

- Everything works in the this custom board except the FPGA programming. We checked all power rails and all is good.

- We only have one USB Blaster and it works when we program an Intel dev kit based on 10M50DA, but it doesn't works when we try to program our custom board. 

- Please see the attached picture for the version (software icon)

- Please see the attached picture.

version.pngCapture.JPG

Thanks

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

-Have you try to swap the FPGA on the custom board with other good known FPGA? This is rule out if either the current FPGA is broken or the board is broken.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
GhamdiASA
Beginner

We assembled two FPGAs and there was no difference.

Could you please confirm if our schematic in my original post is correct and nothing is wrong in it? The pull-ups voltages are correct to 3.3V? 

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As per the guidelines, it mention need to connect to capacitor AND diode. Please connect to both capacitor and diode.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
MichaelSupport
Beginner

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos