Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19206 Discussions

Keeping output pin low while unpowered or unconfigured

SimonRichter
New Contributor I

This is kind of a FAQ here, but I've seen a lot of conflicting information in the forum.

I'm still selecting which brand and family to use, and while most of my requirements are relatively benign, I have one that is absolutely important: a set of the FPGA's outputs will control FETs that, through a long chain of connected components, will turn on a few kilowatts of machinery, so I need to absolutely make sure that these pins stay off unless explicitly commanded. So this will be a very conservative design.

The Cyclone series seems to have "weak" pull-ups connected to all I/O pins during configuration that I would have to override with an external pull-down that still needs to be weak enough that I can override it with the regular output drivers.

The minimum value for the pull-ups is given as 8 kOhm, so if I wanted to reliably stay below 0.6V, I'd have to use an 1.4kOhm pull-down. Driving up to 3.3V against that would give a current of 2mA, which the CycloneIV can deliver in either LVTTL or LVCMOS mode. LVTTL mode doesn't guarantee me a H voltage above 2.4V, which is awfully close for reliably switching the FET, while LVCMOS mode gives me a good voltage, but is listed with a maximum drive strength of 2 mA, so I'd be cutting it awfully close there.

For the CycloneV, I have an option to drive outputs with up to 16mA, which would relax that quite a bit, but the datasheet only lists typical (25kOhm) values for the pull-ups, not min/max values, so it is more difficult to select conservative values for the pull-down here.

A possible option I could see would be to dedicate an I/O bank to "must be activated later" pins, and supply the VccIO pins in that bank only after configuration has completed. A primitive design would probably use CONF_DONE to switch another FET that turns on the delayed VccIO, is there a way to derive an initial reset state for this pin that will not glitch during transition to user mode?

Last but not least: have I missed something glaringly obvious here?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Whenever I have had a requirement to do this I just add an external passive pulldown/pullup resistor, as appropriate, of a value that holds the signal level to a correct value when the FPGA is unconfigured/unpowered, and can be overridden by an actively driven output.

I have never had an issue using this approach.

SimonRichter
New Contributor I

Yes, that is what I want, so I filled in actual resistor values that would fit these criteria (in a worst-case scenario), and I'm rather unhappy with how far away the signal levels are from the supply rails, how little tolerance I have for the resistor values and how much drive current I need in the FPGA -- so I'm wondering if I've overlooked something.

I get much better values for normal operation if I calculate with the typical rather than minimum resistance of the internal pull-up, but if in series production I happen to get an FPGA with a stronger pull-up, I end up with a board that will activate the FET during the configuration phase, which is not the safe state of the machine as a whole, so I wouldn't sign off on that as production ready.

ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

The CycloneV electrical datasheet (version 2016.06.10) lists the pullup value as 25Kohm +/- 10% over PVT (note 17 on page).