Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

MAX 10 FPGA_ Device Selection Help

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

Does Max 10 FPGA series support Ethernet core?. I am thinking of using a max 10 FPGA part number - 10M50SFE144I7G....But, I couldn't find if I would be able to use an Ethernet core with it. Please advice. 

Thanks, 

Manoj
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

See the "nios ii simple socket server ethernet example (https://cloud.altera.com/devstore/platform/15.0.0/nios-ii-simple-socket-server-ethernet-example/)". Targeted at MAX 10. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Alex, but is there any way to confirm that this exact part number 10M50SFE144I7G supports ethernet?. 

I am insisting on this because of our recent experience with one of Xilinx -Spartan 6 FPGA. Spartan 6 FPGA usually supports Ethernet, but a specific part number that we chose didn't support and hence don't want to make the same mistake again. 

Manoj
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can confirm it by running a design through Quartus. There are specific device restrictions that Quartus will inform you about. For example, some of the smaller MAX 10 packages don't support external memory interfaces. I don't know of any such restrictions with the Ethernet controller core. 

Note: I don't recognise the part number you stated. I think it should either be 10M50SaE144I7G or 10M50ScE144I7G. 

Cheers, 

Alex
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hello All, 

Does Max 10 FPGA series support Ethernet core?. I am thinking of using a max 10 FPGA part number - 10M50SFE144I7G....But, I couldn't find if I would be able to use an Ethernet core with it. Please advice. 

Thanks, 

Manoj 

--- Quote End ---  

What variation of etherNet? 10Mb, 100Mb, 1Gb, 10Gb? The requirements are very different depending on your performance requirement. 

What physical interface to you intend to use as well? 'Standard' transformer coupled RJ45 style, with an external PHY, or some other means (like SERDES)? 

Are you planning on using some kind of development board, or is this a custom PCB design? 

The more specifics you can provide in your post the better the responses will be.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks Alex for your information.

0 Kudos