Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX V GPIO State at Power-Off

Newtham
Beginner

If a MAX V has all of its voltage switched off, will the GPIO pins be in tristate? (Not during power-up or power-down, but when it's completely off.)

I ask because I am using the MAX V to control another IC, and I want to be able to control the IC with the MAX V or with an external header, for testing. The header would be in parallel with the MAX V GPIO lines. So, if I power off the MAX V, will I be able to communicate with the IC directly, without interference?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

If no power given to the device, the Impedance will be undefined, why I am saying so each IO pin can be considered active component and can be act as energy storage device. In my point of view , it is not safe to give to power off only Max 5 in a board.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

Hi ,

If I understood correctly , if you loose the power of Max V , there will be no power on the IO pins

0 Kudos
Newtham
Beginner

No, sorry if I wasn't clear.

What is the input impedance of the GPIO pins when there is no power to the MAX V?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Rahul_S_Intel1
Employee

If no power given to the device, the Impedance will be undefined, why I am saying so each IO pin can be considered active component and can be act as energy storage device. In my point of view , it is not safe to give to power off only Max 5 in a board.

0 Kudos
Newtham
Beginner

OK, that makes sense. That's what I was wondering. Thank you!

0 Kudos