Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

MAX10 RPD file encryption

rt52
Beginner

When I use the convert programming files menu to create remote update files (.rpd) and use AES-128 encryption while generating, do the .rpd files also use the .ekp file when they are downloaded/booted?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

The rpd file will not include the ekp file. The reason is that the rpd file will only contain Max 10 configuration bitstream and ekp is only performed 1 time during the jic configuration.

0 Kudos
rt52
Beginner

Ok thank you.

Somewhat related, in ug_m10_config.pdf, it says the key file can be erase via a full chip erase.  How do I do this?  Doing a normal erase operation just erases the flash, and when I put the .ekp file into the programmer, the erase option is unavailable. 

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

You need to put the pof file into the Quartus Programmer then you will be able to select erase.

0 Kudos
rt52
Beginner

Right, I put the .pof in the programmer and then click erase.  The flash is erased but the only way a new .pof can be loaded is if it contains the .ekp file.  If I try to reprogram a .pof without the .ekp file, it will program but it will not boot, which tells me the key is still active.

0 Kudos
JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you using encrypted POF? If yes, then you will need to always include .ekp to program with POF as the erase function will always erase the key and bitstream.

0 Kudos