Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

MAX10: combining analog and digital I/O in same bank possible?

MS
Novice

Hi,

testing with MAX10 (having internal ADCs available), I tried to combine in a given I/O bank analog input pins and (almost) static digital I/Os. Quartus currently prevents me from doing that and throws an error message. Obviously I took care to select a unused analog-capable pin for the digital I/O.

Do I do something wrong or is it really not possible to combine analog and digital I/O in the same bank?

Best wishes,

MS

0 Kudos
5 Replies
LZhan65
Beginner

when you say analog, you mean some signals like lvds?

to receive analog signals, because you need to maintain the signal quality (linearity, for example), you need analog transceivers in fpga, so you have to use the high speed transceiver banks.

0 Kudos
MS
Novice

HI,

"analog" here means "ADC input signal". There's nothing high speed about that signal.

Best wishes,

MS

0 Kudos
MS
Novice

Hi,

The answer is documented in the MAX10 ADC User Guide UG-M10ADC (https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_adc.pdf) in section 2.1.3: If you use bank 1A for ADC, you cannot use the bank for GPIO.

Best wishes,

MS

JonWay_C_Intel
Employee

Hi @MS, it seems you have found the answer to your question. Is there anything else we can help?

0 Kudos
MS
Novice

Hi JwChin,

Right now I don't need any help any more. The question is answered. Thank you!

Best wishes,

MS

0 Kudos