Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

MAX10 dual configuration use only Image in CFM1

SZand
Beginner

Hi,

I am using the 10M16SAE144 with dual compressed images, but regadless of the state of the CONFIG_SEL pin, config is done all the time from CFM1. Both images are valid. I had changed the images vice versa, but configuration is always done from CFM1.

Settings:

Internal Configuration, enable CONFIG_SEL Pin

not checked configure device from CFM0 only

not checked use second- image ISP as default setting if av.

Contents of the .map file:

BLOCK      START ADDRESS      END ADDRESS

ICB         0x00000000         0x00000FFF

UFM         0x00001000         0x00008FFF

CFM0      0x0004B000         0x0008CFFF (0x0006D643)

CFM1      0x00009000         0x0004AFFF (0x0002B82F)

Max 10 Setting:

EPOF: OFF

Verify protect: OFF

Watchdog value: Not activated

Configure device from CFM0 only: OFF

POR: Instant ON

IO Pullup: ON

SPI IO Pullup: ON

I wonder at the fact that the addr of CFM1 is lower than the addr of CFM0.

Any idea what is going wrong?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
Hi SZand, When you said “regardless of the state of the CONFIG_SEL pin,” can you explain how do you change the state of the CONFIG_SEL pin? Is it using Hardware (change the switch on your board) or Software (using dual boot IP core)? If you using software, make sure you are using offset 1 (refer attachment picture). Then you need to assert config_sel_overwrite and config_sel in order to make a change. If you want to load the image from: CFM0 = write 2b’01 (or 0x01 in hex) CFM1 = write 2b’11 (or 0x03 in hex) I hope this will help you. Thanks
0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
SZand
Beginner

Hi MShafiq,

Thanks for your answer.

I use the HW-pin of the device with a jumper (with 10k pull down resistor / 1k pull up resistor). The logic level change is ok (0.1V / 3.0V). Already changed the device, it is the same.

Best regards

0 Kudos
ShafiqY_Intel
Employee
Hi, I suspect this might be the board issue. You can use these workaround to verify whether it’s board issue or anything else. 1. Try to change the CFM1/CFM0 image using the software method. You can use Dual Configuration Intel FPGA IP to control the images using software method. If you can control image using software method, mean your device is behave correctly. You need to assert config_sel_overwrite and config_sel in order to make a change. If you want to load the image from: CFM0 = write 2b’01 (or 0x01 in hex) CFM1 = write 2b’11 (or 0x03 in hex) Then, reconfigure your device using Dual Config IP too. 2. Try to program the corrupted image into CFM1 sector. If device behave correctly, it will reconfigure/reboot from CFM0 if the corrupted image found in CFM1 image. 3. Make sure your config_sel pin stay at zero state. Sometime, the congif_sel pin is high when in power-up stage, and low after power-up stage. Please ensure your config_sel pin still at zero state all time if you want to reboot from CFM0. Monitor your config_pin waveform behavior. You can try these. I hope this will help you. Thanks.
0 Kudos
SZand
Beginner

scope_0.bmpHi,

1) using the software method can not be done fast, because there is no processor inside the design and therefore I had to write some HDL code for using the avalon bus of the dual config ip.

2) I have made the measurement. Yes, there is a problem, because the value of the pull-down resistor (as stated in the document) of 10k is to large, 2k2 or less should be used. Changing this, shows a voltage level of 0.4V or less during power on.

But unfortunately this will not change the behaviour always booting the CFM1.

3) I have created two different .sof files with diff. names. Both are valid and when written in the CFM1 they work correct.

4) In the pin-out file one can see:

~ALTERA_CONFIG_SEL~ / RESERVED_INPUT : 126      : input : 3.3-V LVCMOS     :        : 8        : N  

which show to me that the Config-sel-pin is an input.

Remember that there is only a passive 2k2 resistor to ground connected to this pin.

Why I can see a 20us low puls aprox. 10ms after PON, and why the pin goes to 0V aprox. 20ms after PON?

Can this be a reason for the problem?

Thanks for help.

0 Kudos