Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20642 Discussions

MAX10 "JTAG_Lock_Unlock"

johny7401
Beginner

I have unintentionally LOCK a chip 10M25DAF256C8G due to JTAG secure option and wrong key in POF file. In Intel site I have download "JTAG Lock Unlock" project to unlock my chip, but I can NOT configure chip by SOF file and have an error:

(Error (209014): CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1. Make sure all communication cables are securely connected, select a different device, check the power on the target system, or make sure all "n CE" pins are connected to GND. The Intel FPGA Knowledge Database contains many articles with specific details on how to resolve this error. Visit the Knowledge Database at .. .. .. .. .. and search for this specific error message number.)

All JTAG signals are coming to chip but I can't configure SOF file of "JTAG Lock Unlock" project. CAN ANYONE HELP ME TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

0 Kudos
11 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Johny,

Once the JTAG secure mode is set, user is not able to program FPGA due to JTAG access limitation by secure mode. The only way to program now is to unlock the JTAG secure mode and then only program the FPGA with encrypted bitstream.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
johny7401
Beginner

But, How to to unlock the JTAG secure mode?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Johny,

We have design example for MAX10 which guides how to lock / unlock the secure mode.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/15.0.0/Standard/max10-jtag-secure-unlock/

You may take a look.

Thank You

0 Kudos
johny7401
Beginner

Hi YuanLi_S_Intel,

I know about this project ("max10-jtag -secure-unlock"), even more, before writing to Intel's community I had downloaded and compiled  its and tried to use them, but HOW I CAN CONFIRURE .SOF FILE INTO CHIP if chip's jtag is LOCKED now? In my first post I had written about it. 

Maybe I don't understand something.... Can you explain me?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Johny,

Once the secure mode is LOCKED, the only way is to UNLOCK it using the internal JTAG block so that the JTAG can be used again. It can be seen from the design attached previously.

For your scenario, i am afraid that it cannot be programmed with JTAG anymore. The only method is the remove the flash, program it with the encrypted bitstream with internal JTAG block IP in the design.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
johny7401
Beginner

Hi YuanLi_SIntel,

As far as I know the only way to implement sof or pof files into MAX10 is JTAG.  I have compiled the project ("JTAG_LOCK_UNLOCK"). I can make the encrypted bitstrim pof-file. So I still can not realize how can I implement into chip my pof-file by help of internal JTAG in such way? And what do you mean writing REMOVE THE FLASH? Excuse me for my importunity, can you explain me more detailed?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Johny,

Please let me know if my understanding is not correct. So, currently you are able to do UNLOCK / LOCK design secure mode based on the design example and you would like to know how to leverage the design example for programming the MAX 10.

If it so, then my recommendation for this is, you disbable the JTAG secure mode with UNLOCK, enable external JTAG and then program encrypted bitstream with external JTAG.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
johny7401
Beginner

Hi YuanLi_S_Intel!

Currently I am NOT able to do UNLOCK / LOCK design secure mode based on this design example, because I have LOCKed JTAG more earlier when I had unintentionally tried to enable JTAG secure mode in my  project's  POF file and the POF was encrypted with the WRONG key. (see ''ug_m10_config.pdf" UG-M10CONFIG 2020.06.30, page 40). Since time my chip is LOCKed and I can NOT implement any SOF/POF file into my chip.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Since you have LOCK the secure mode, the only way is to UNLOCK it in order to program bitstream into it.

0 Kudos
johny7401
Beginner
0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

Apologize that the only way is to UNLOCK the jtag secure mode and programmed encrypted bitstream with correct key. I am afraid there is no other way to do that.

Thank You

0 Kudos