Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20705 Discussions

MAX7000AE programming issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello All, 

The background is that we have some boards that were created by our company some 5 or 6 years ago. There is no one left who was involved with the project. We found one board that was programmed and a number of others that were not. 

I now need to get the image off of the one programmed board and get it onto the other boards. 

I am not quite sure where to start as this is my first time using an Altera product. 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am fairly sure you cannot rip the code off of a programmed device. 

if i recall, i read that there are certain bits that are set only during the programing phase, and data can only be changed when those bits are set.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

if i recall, i read that there are certain bits that are set only during the programing phase, and data can only be changed when those bits are set. 

--- Quote End ---  

It's rather the other way around. The device can be freely copied, unless the security bit has been set intentionally. 

--- Quote Start ---  

I am not quite sure where to start as this is my first time using an Altera product. 

--- Quote End ---  

Supposed, the boards have the JTAG pins of the device exposed to a 10-pin connector according to the Altera standard, you need an Altera programming adapter (e.g. USB Blaster) and Quartus II or an Altera-standalone-programmer (ASAP) installed. 

Read-back the image ("interrogate") and writing it to another device in the programmer window can be done almost intutively.
0 Kudos