Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

Max 10 Hardware configuration of unused pins on different package types

SASS
Beginner

Hello,

I am doing a design where we want the hardware/PCB to support both MAX10M02 and MAX10M08. There is a difference on pins D4, E4 and F4 where they are NC on MAX10M02 and needs GND/VCCA on MAX10M08.

Does NC in this context mean "don't connect" or "not connected inside the package"? E.g. will something not function properly if we connect GND to D4 + E4 and VCCA to F4 on the MAX10M02 package? 

I noted that in the pin description there is a definition called DNU, meaning "do not use" and in that case it is clear that the pin shall not be connected.

Best regards,

SASS

0 Kudos
2 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

NC does mean not connected in the package, but to make sure of compatibility, you should add the second device as a migration device in Quartus (Device settings I believe).  That way the tool can let you know about any issues like this when moving between the two devices.

0 Kudos
SASS
Beginner

Thanks for the rapid response. Since the NC pins (D4, E4 and F4) on the MAX10M02 are not connected inside the package it must mean that it will not be a problem to apply GND/VCCA to them. We will also try to set this up as "migration" device in Quartus. 

0 Kudos