Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Max V I2C hardware connection

HWEngineer
Novice

I am implementing I2C slaves on Max V to for reading of registers.

1) Can the I2C be connected to any I/O pins?

2) The master is a I2C, 5V. The handbook mentioned that Max V can be 5V tolerant with an external resistors and clamped diode. Is there any reference design for this? If not, is it a voltage divider resistors to provide 3.3V to Max V?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

Max V does not have dedicated I2C slaves. If you'd like to use it, you will have to develop controller inside of the FPGA.  As for reference design, you can refer to Intel® FPGA Design Examples  if we have reference design of it. 

Thanks.

0 Kudos
HWEngineer
Novice

The question is more on the hardware connection of the MaxV as the handbook does not have any informtaion on the following:

1) Can the I2C be connected to any I/O pins?

2) The master is a I2C, 5V. The handbook mentioned that Max V can be 5V tolerant with an external resistors and clamped diode. Is there any reference design for this? If not, is it a voltage divider resistors to provide 3.3V to Max V? I managed to find the application note for the 5V tolerant. Is there any recommended external clamping diode?

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

I think I have answered this on my previous response. Can you elaborate your concern?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
HWEngineer
Novice

You mentioned "Max V does not have dedicated I2C slaves. If you'd like to use it, you will have to develop controller inside of the FPGA." But that does not answer if I2C can be connected electrically to any of the I/O pins. When I said connect electrically, I mean the physical pin of MaxV. Can MaxV I/O pin be connected directly to an I2C or does it need an external I2C to LVTTL translator?

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

Hello,

From my last post, developing a controller meaning writing an RTL for that. Once you have done that, the pins should be connected with right IO standard according to the Max V datasheet.

Thank you

0 Kudos
AminT_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous question/reply/answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos