Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Max10 DDR input/output

fogl
Novice

Hello everybody,

I am looking for the possibility to interface a Gbit ethernet IC with four input and four output DDR lines. I am reading the Max10 documentation and i was not able to figure out if this is possible. There are notes on DDR memory interface IP in Quartus, but i was not able to instantiate a DDR input or output primitive.

Is there no list of primitives for the Max10 family so someone could look and see what hardware is available and instantiate it?

I assume there is no IDDR or ODDR hardwrae block inside the Max10. Can i run the interface at 250 MHz and "simulate" a 125 MHz DDR interface and expect to meet the timing?

Regards

Klemen

0 Kudos
6 Replies
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

Probably you can use the DDIO_IN and DDIO_OUT as shown in figure 14/15 of the MAX10 GPIO UG - https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_gpio.pdf#page=40

To meet the timing, the proper way is to run quartus full compilation and chek is the timing analysis is clean.

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos
fogl
Novice

Thank you for your suggestion. I was able to test a simple example of DDR input/output using the IP wizard. I connect the clock to PLL which was set to source synchronous mode.

Regards

Klemen

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Good to know. thanks. 😄

0 Kudos
fogl
Novice

Can you please help me me one more thing about that. I would actually prefer using the direct hardware instantiation without the wizard. Is this not possible with Max10 (or other intel fpga devices)? I am missing the hdl library guide for Max10 device - something similar to Xilinx UG953 for instance.

Regards

0 Kudos
BoonT_Intel

Hi Sir,

I don't think it is possible for hardware instantiation without using the wizard.

Perhaps, you can create a new thread for new question, so that it can route to a correct person accordingly to the specific technical area. Thanks for your understanding.

0 Kudos