Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

New in DMA: How to configure DMA using VHDL?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, I am a beginner in DMA and VHDL. I know that before we can run the C code in Nios II IDE, we have to do some coding or configuration for the hardware (connection and porting) in Quartus II. After we compile and send the code to the board using Programmer, we can run the C code in Nios II IDE. My problem is, I dont know how to configure the connection/porting for DMA in Quartus II using VHDL. May I know where to look for information and maybe someone can help me out? Besides, is it correct to refer that part as configuration of hardware? I am not sure, that's why it's hard for me to do the surfing. Thanks!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Are you using SOPC builder? Then it's just a matter of connecting the masters to the correct slaves, no need for any VHDL code.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

yes, i am using SOPC Builder. but i have to create the top level entity VHDL for the system. I dont know how to create the top level entity VHDL.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Your top level file must define as ports all the FPGA pins that you want to use, contain the declaration for the SOPC component, and instantiate the SOPC component. 

Any VHDL book should explain how to instantiate components. For the component declaration, have a look in your project. If your SOPC component is called my_cpu, then SOPC will generate a my_cpu_inst.vhd file that contains the SOPC component declaration.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

ok. thanks. i will give it a try.

0 Kudos