Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20957 Discussions

Nios II gen2 - core

MK_ABQ
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am very new to Nios. I have a reference project folder with Nios II gen2 core used in that, and along with report files, and codes. How will I know which version of Nios core ( economy or fast) has been used in the project, without opening quartus?. I am looking for any specific string or information in report of project files that Indicates if the Nios II used is Economy or fast. Can you help?

Thanks

0 Kudos
9 Replies
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

The NIOS II system description header file, system.h contains the software definitions, name, locations, base addresses and settings for all the components in the NIOS II hardware system.

It should be located in your <ProjectName>_bsp directory and you shall see the system.h file.

Open it with a notepad and locate to the CPU configuration and you will see the

#define NIOS2_CPU_IMPLEMENTATION "fast/economic"

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Is the information provided useful to you?

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Did it helped to resolve your issue?

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
MK_ABQ
New Contributor II

Hello Kelly,

Excuse my delayed response. I tried looking into the archive directory, but  couldn't find the system.h nor the <ProjectName>_bsp  directory. Any other keyword or parameters that you would recommend to look into?

Thanks

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

Another alternative way is locate to the Quartus you downloaded on your disk. The file path will be: Your_local_disk/intelFPGA/Quartus_version_you_installed/nios2eds/version.txt

You should be able to see the version of the NIOS core you installed in the text file.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

For the previous explanation, this was the <ProjectName>_bsp directory and system.h file that I mentioned as you create a file on Eclipse.

KellyJialin_Goh_1-1666343151440.png

and you should be able to see the fast/economy version using. 

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos
MK_ABQ
New Contributor II

Hello Kelly,

Thanks for your swift and detailed response. I learned the project database I have is pretty old ( built with Quartus Version 13.0). The version.txt is not available either. 

Eventually just opened using old quartus version and figured out the NIOS version. 

0 Kudos
MK_ABQ
New Contributor II

Please proceed to close this now. Thanks!

0 Kudos
KellyJialin_Goh
Employee

Hi,

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 9/10 survey.

Thank you.

Regards,

Kelly Jialin, GOH

0 Kudos