Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20680 Discussions

Obsolete Altera Apex parts

srschiller
Novice

I am considering the purchase of some Altera branded APEX FPGAs (EP20K400EFI672-2X) from an OEM. These parts  are date coded 2020-07. 

Since intel acquired Altera in 2015 and these parts were obsoleted in 2017, could a 2020 dated coded population of parts be authentic? Could these have been manufactured with leftover die by Intel in 2020?

Your opinions would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
srschiller
Novice

Any opinions at all would be appreciated.

Please help

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I seriously doubt these are authentic.  I'm surprised to hear Apex was officially obsoleted only in 2017 (thought it was way earlier than that).  Why can't you use a MAX part instead?

0 Kudos
srschiller
Novice

It is for a drop-in replacement.

Is it possible that leftover die were assembled by Intel using the Alterra brand?

Thanks for responding,

0 Kudos
sstrell
Honored Contributor III
0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hi,

We do not provide part marking verification in order to avoid the devices from grey market.

Intel PSG has its authorized distributor to sell Intel devices. If you got the devices from formal distributors, you shouldn’t worry on the device authenticity as the devices must be valid units. Otherwise, we do not ensure the device quality and do not provide the further service. You may find the authorized distributor list from the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/buy.html

Thanks,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos
NazrulNaim_Intel
Employee

Hi,

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided, please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Regards,

Nazrul Naim

0 Kudos