Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20690 Discussions

Problem with JTAG MAX 10

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Is there anyone who is facing the same problem i am facing in MAX 10 JTAG? (see attachment). If anyone has any idea to solve this please let me know. I tried all sorts of way which has been shared in the forum regarding this. But nothing worked out. Please

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What board?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Max 10m50daf484c6ges....

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

That would be the FPGA, not the board that you are using. Which Max 10 board? JTAG problems are usually due to physical hardware, not the FPGA (unless it is broken).

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

https://www.altera.com/products/boards_and_kits/dev-kits/altera/max-10-fpga-development-kit.html 

I am using MAX 10 FPGA Development board(above link). I guess there is something short circuited inside the circuit board. Is there any way to solve it? Thanks for your response
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I mean, yes, there is some way to solve it, but you are going to have to do board-level work with a multimeter or scope. Are you connecting using the on-board USB Blaster or the JTAG port?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have used both of them. On board USB blaster was used 1st. But both of them showing the same problem. I tested the power supply if it is ok or not. Power supply is ok. Is there anything else i should check?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So, first check: 

https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/support/boards-kits/max10_dk_schematic_revc_pcb.pdf 

1) Can you see the USB Blaster provided clock when probing the board with a JTAG programmer plugged in? 

2) Do the voltages on the JTAG pins look correct/as expected? Are the pulled up and pulled down values reading correctly? 

3) Can you install J13 and see the Max II over JTAG (don't program!)? 

4) Are the clocks on page 3 all as expected? 

It's very possible the JTAG is bad, so this is all I can think of for now. Check each power and clock rail, and see if the USB Blaster is working right.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Resolve the problem. I just made SW2 (all 4) to low which is just the back side of the board. Then i auto detect my device and erase the device. I hope my solution will help lot of people.  

Also to everyone who is facing problem regarding Altera devices, just use my support and get help from the application engineer of Altera. It will help a lot. 

Thanks DERIM for your support and advice. I appreciate it.
0 Kudos