Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Problems with configuring CycloneIV from EPCQ32A

Sergey81
Novice

After changing EPCS16 (soic to EPCQ32A on PCB Cyclone IV FPGA can't load configuration data at power ups (Active Serial x1 is used). Quartus project is recompiled, configuration device in Device and Pin Options is changed to EPCQ32A. First EPCQ32A chip successfully configured CycloneIV, but after reprogramming EPCQ32A FPGA couldn't get configured anymore (even when EPCQ32A was programed with first .pof file again). Then we disoldered EPCQ32A and soldered another EPCQ32A chip - the same result (after 2nd programming of EPCQ32A CycloneIV can't get configured)...

I'm using QuartusII 18.1.0 Lite Edition.

Also I noticed that FPGA became configured right after EPCQ32A programming with .pof file, however, 'Initiate configuration after programming' option for Quartus programmer was turned off. And this happened again with 2nd EPCQ32A IC.

What's more, I can successfully perform Erase operation, but Blank Check is failed. Verify operation gives non-blank file as well. Could this be related to that my .pof is combined from 2 compressed .sof files (for remote update purpose : Factory configuration and App1 configuration)? I mean that EPCQ sectors might be protected by Nios2 program+epcq_controller when FPGA was configured for the first time...  But option 'Unprotect EPCS/EPCQ devices selected for the erase/program operation' for Quartus programmer is on by default. In case of EPCS16 such combined .pof doesn't lead to a problem. Anyway now I'm trying to configure FPGA with .pof that consists of only 1 file and doesn't have Nios2-based remote update system, but something is wrong with EPCQ32A.

DCLK is about 35-36MHz according to the oscilloscope.

There are diods that connect ASDI, DCLK, DATA, nCS lines with +3.3V and 10pF caps to gnd on our PCB. We don't have any problems with FPGA configuring using EPCS16.

0 Kudos
12 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Intel community.

When you said that after reprogramming EPCQ32A, FPGA couldn't get configure, do you mean it failed? Does it show any error message?

Have you also try this with the latest version of Quartus lite?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Sergey81
Novice

Hi, Aiman.

I don't quite follow what you meant by "error meassage". I can program EPCQ32A using USB Blaster without any error messages. I meant that FPGA couldn't get correct data from EPCQ32A. FPGA sends DCLK pulses and gets bytes from EPCQ32A after power up, but this process never stops.  And FPGA isn't configured (no activity on it's pins). Also I've tried comparing .pof file which I used to program EPCQ32A and .pof-file I read back from EPCQ32A (using Examine option of Quartus programmer) and I see that files differs. It's also clear that EPCQ32A is still rewritable (at least it's not protected from writing bytes), because I can program different .pof files and read back different files which, however, differ from original files.

I've tried using QuartusII 20.1 Light Edition, but it hasn't helped.

I've tried to program, examine,erase and blank-check EPCS16 on another board using the same UBS Blaster and haven't had any problems.

EPCQ32A IC is marked as follows :

ALTERA

EPCQ32A

Does it look like it's a genuine Intel chip?

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

• Sorry but we do not check device authenticity. However, if you got the devices from formal distributors, you shouldn’t worry on the device authenticity as the devices must be valid units. Otherwise, we do not ensure the device quality and do not provide the further service. You may find the authorized distributor list from the link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/buy.html

• Have you follow the AN 822, the device migration guidelines for the migration?

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/support/us/en/programmable/kdb/pdfs/literature/an/an822.pdf

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Sergey81
Novice
0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

This is to let you know that I am checking this case with my internal team. Will get back to you once I have the answer.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Feedback from our internal team;

It seems like the configuration issue is due to .pof content programmed in EPCQ32A is corrupted since the read back .pof is differed compared to the .pof used to program the EPCQ32A.

Does the issue happens on all the boards? How did you program the .pof into EPCQ32A? Did you regenerate the .pof with EPCQ32A configuration device? Do you able to try program ECPQ32A via JIC programming?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Sergey81
Novice

Hi!

I'm using only one board for this experiments, but the situation is the same for 2 tested EPCQ32A. I'm programming .pof file into EPCQ32A using Quartus Programmer tool and USB-Blaster. Can't program JIC since there's no JTAG interface on the board.

Yes, I changed EPCS16 to EPCQ32A in Quartus->Assignments->Device and Pin Options->Configuration and recompile the project to generate new .pof file. Now I'm wating for ordered EPCQ32 to try to work with it. Maybe this will help to clarify the situation.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Apologize for the delay in response.

-As you are saying that there is not JTAG interface, I assume you are using Passive serial scheme?

-The only issue I can think is that, if you have follow the device migration guidelines correctly. As you were migrating from EPCS16 to EPCQ32A. EPCQ32A is different, hence you need to make sure that you have follow the migration guidelines correctly.

-Can you provide the screenshot of configuration timing diagram? that have CONF_DONE, nSTATUS, DCLK,ASDATA, etc...

-Have you try using the EPCQ32? Previous reply you are mentioning to try with EPCQ32. How is it working?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
Sergey81
Novice

Hi, Aiman!

We are using Active serial scheme.

We've changed EPCQ32A to EPCQ32 and I can program it several times. FPGA configures normally after each power up. So, there is a difference between EPCQ32A and EPCQ32...

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

NurAiman_M_Intel_0-1643339332444.png

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since you can program both EPCS and EPCQ without issue,

I think it is related to software support for EPCQA devices as you can see from the screenshot from AN822 page 10. The supported software for EPCQA are Quartus Pro and standard.

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos