Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20641 Discussions

Program cpld max v using ftdi ft4232

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to program CPLD MAX V using FTDI FT4232 instead of a USB BLASTER.Any suggestions on how to proceed further are requested.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Forget that idea and get yourself a USB Blaster. 

The Quartus programmer does not support the FT4232 operating in JTAG mode. You would have to find (write) your own programming software. 

If money is a concern, there are cheaper clone versions of the USB Blaster available on the web, principally from Chinese sources.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Money is not an issue. 

Actually there is an inbuilt FTDI FT4232 chip on board and we have to program cpld using this chip only. 

Can you guide me on how to write a software?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Money is not an issue. 

Actually there is an inbuilt FTDI FT4232 chip on board and we have to program cpld using this chip only. 

Can you guide me on how to write a software? 

--- Quote End ---  

Well, if money is not an issue can you send me some :-) :-) 

You can use the JAM STAPL player to implement a custom JTAG programmer:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/support-centers/devices/programming-tools/jam-stapl/tls-jam-embedded.html 

If someone went to the trouble of designing in the FTDI FT4232 device onto a board (is this a development board? or your own custom board?) then I would think that a software solution would have been thought of beforehand. In any event, writing a custom backend for the JAM stapl player is not too hard to do. Just use the above link.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Well, if money is not an issue can you send me some :-) :-) 

You can use the JAM STAPL player to implement a custom JTAG programmer:  

https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/support-centers/devices/programming-tools/jam-stapl/tls-jam-embedded.html 

If someone went to the trouble of designing in the FTDI FT4232 device onto a board (is this a development board? or your own custom board?) then I would think that a software solution would have been thought of beforehand. In any event, writing a custom backend for the JAM stapl player is not too hard to do. Just use the above link. 

--- Quote End ---  

Thank you for a quick response.How to use JAM STAPL with FTDI FT4232?Ours is a custom board.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Thank you for a quick response.How to use JAM STAPL with FTDI FT4232?Ours is a custom board. 

--- Quote End ---  

Follow the link (https://www.altera.com/support/support-resources/support-centers/devices/programming-tools/jam-stapl/tls-jam-embedded.html) I gave you. 

It goes to a basic overview page on how to use the JAM STAPL player in various ways. Then download the software thru the link provided on that page. 

You will then need to do some software development (pretty straightforward) to tell the player how to map transitions on TCK/TMS/TDI/TDO to your hardware. 

Unfortunately it is not a turnkey solution since you decided to go with a completely custom hardware interface instead of just having a 10p JTAG connector and using a Blaster.
0 Kudos
DHarr3
Beginner

I have exactly the same situation. I have an extra 4232 channel (the rest are being used for RS232 ports). Were you able to get this to work to your satisfaction? Do you have any tips for me? Can you share your interface code? I don't have much science project time.

0 Kudos