Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
21034 Discussions

Programming external QSPI Flash with PFL IP on MAX 10 FPGA

Sho2301
Beginner

Hi,

I am trying to boot the Nios 2 softcore processor from a external QSPI flash. I have followed all the steps detailed in the Embedded Developers Handbook Nios 2 from page 276 onwards but had a problem with the step where i was supposed to programm the .pof file converted from .hex file, containing the nios 2 application code, into the external qspi flash with Parallel Flash Loader. As the first i flashed the image containing the PFL into the FPGA. According to the Embedded Developers Handbook  the QSPI Flash should then be recognized in the JTAG Chain if i hit the auto detect button in the quartus programmer, which isn't the case in my implementation. I've also tried to manually add the flash device into the JTAG chain via the attach flash file sub menu but am getting the error: "209012 Operation failed" which indicates that the flash device is not found.

The Max 10 i'm using is the 10M08SAU169I7G and the external flash is the Micron MT25QL256ABA8ESF in the 256Mb variant which should be supported by the PFL according to the Intel documentation.

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/articles/000074565.html?wapkw=mt25q

I've attached my PFL project and would greatly appreciate some help on this matter.

Best regards

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

I am Jingyang and will be helping you out in this case.

Have you tried flashing the sof only to see if you are able to see the nios core in the jtag chain?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

Any update on this case?

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos
JingyangTeh
Employee

Hi

As we do not receive any response from you on the previous question/reply/answer that we have provided. Please login to ‘https://supporttickets.intel.com/s/?language=en_US’, view details of the desire request, and post a feed/response within the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you on your follow-up questions.

Regards

Jingyang, Teh

0 Kudos