Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Programming mistake

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I compiled a project for 5M80ZT100 (100 pin MAX V) in Quartus Prime and loaded it accidentally to 5M80ZE64C5N (64 pin MAX V). 

After that, I can't reconnect to 5M80ZE64C5N again with my USB Blaster. Auto detect returns "Unable to scan device chain. Can't scan JTAG chain. ......" 

Is this error caused by my mistake in programming? Is it possible to unbrick 5M80ZE64C5N? 

Is there any protection in Quartus Prime against mistakes in programming?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I tried programming with fresh 5M80ZE64C5N soldered on my board. I also created new project in Quartus Prime which consists of simple program: 

entity DEMO is 

port ( 

o: out std_logic 

); 

end DEMO; 

architecture b of DEMO is 

begin 

o <= '1';  

end b; 

I assigned o port to pin63.  

I opened Programmer in Quartus Prime and added .pof file from my demo project to it. I programmed and verified this file with success. 

After that current consumption of my board rose from 0.1 to 0.2 A and I'm not able to connect with programmer to 5M80ZE64C5N anymore. 

There is nothing connected to pin63 on my board (it is custom board). 1V8 is supplied to core, 3V3 to IO banks. Decoupled by 100n capacitors. What else should I do? Is there any configuration I should do before programming 5M80Z?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I solved it. Unused pins were connected to GND by Quartus Prime which caused problem on my board.

0 Kudos