Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Quartus II Crashes -- Need Help!

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

My apologies for launching another thread, but I'm running out of options and cannot find help anywhere. I have tried searching this Forum, the Altera Site, Forums & Wiki, all to no avail. So I am trying again, with some additional info on the problem. 

I am running Quartus II 32-bit Version 12.0 Build 263 08/02/2012 Web Edition, 

with Service Pack Installed: 2 

on Windows 7. 

I am using schematic design entry in the Block Editor. I create a new design and compile it without problems. I then make a simple edit, for example re-naming a pin or instance, save the file, and attempt to compile again, and it crashes. In addition: 

Never crashes on first compile after starting 

Does not crash if previous compile failed. 

Editing connections does not cause crash 

Sometimes crashes after Save All, and then attempt to exit. 

Rebooting my PC makes no difference. 

The crash report window says: 

Internal Error: Sub-system: DBMUI, File: /quartus/db/dbmui/dbmui_manager.cpp, Line: 1152 

Attempt made to free all hierarchy databases but the following callers are still accessing it: GEDQ_VIEW::get_sld_hdb_iname, GEDQ_VIEW::get_sld_hdb_iname 

Stack Trace: 

0x61c9: DBMUI_MANAGER::close_hdb_all_cap_inst + 0x109 (DB_DBMUI) 

...... followed by lots more stack trace lines 

Looking in directory 

C:/altera/12.0sp2/quartus 

I can see that there is no directory named "db", 

and in the local design directory looking in "db", there is no 

directory named "dbmui". 

So the above crash report does not make much sense. 

This being the free web version, I cannot expect direct help from Altera (although I'd willingly pay them for help if that were possible), and purchasing a licence is way beyond my resources as a hobbyist. 

If I can't resolve this I'll have to abandon my plans to use CPLD/FPGA parts. 

(and I'd be very reluctant to start all over again with Xilinx.) 

Many thanks for any help you can offer. Ken.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The file name given in the report is probably the name of the Quartus source file generating the error, it is not distributed with Quartus. 

Can you try deleting the db and incremental_db folders in your project and try to compile again? It looks like there is something in the database that Quartus doesn't like.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

The crash problem is now fixed. I eventually worked out how to contact Altera directly by email, and they replied that it is a bug, and told me where to find the patch to download. This has fixed the issue. 

The patch is available at: 

I want to insert the link, but it won't let me as I have only 4 posts. 

I can't work out how to get it to accept it as plain text. After the standard Altera web address it continues: 

/support/kdb/solutions/rd08302012_510.html 

Thanks anyway for the reply. 

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am facing some issues with my quartus II 9.1 web edition. Could you please tell me how to contact altera directly by mail.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You need to create an account at https://www.altera.com/support.html before filing a service ticket to altera.

0 Kudos