Dear allI would like to automate my work using the Quartus commands executed when i use the Quartus GUI For Example : Step 1: I will open the signal tap file using Quartus Step 2: I will change the format from hex to binary Step 3 : I will save again the signal tap I would like to view what commands are executed for doing the above action in Quartus, So that i will automate my work using these commands Thanks in advance
Hi, I don't understand why you want to "convert HEX to BINARY" in signaltap files ?Do you want to automatically convert the format from hex to binary in multiple signaltap files ?
- You can launch signaltap by using command lines : read abaout "scripting" in quartus help But I don't think you can convert in signaltap files by command line :-(
- Signaltap files are XML files. They are editable with a 'simple' text editor. you could change the format in those files by replacing text. But you have to find which text is used for that. If you want to automate the process, First backup your signaltap files
- easy way, most interactive, but not fully automated, you can 'search & replace in multiple documents' by using a editor able to do this : notepad++, PSPAD, Crimson...
- hard way but fast, you can use the 'sed' command available in "nios ii command shell" if you are at ease with "linux" shell commands. you are not obliged to work in linux
- hard way, have to backup, have to learn lots of things, spend time to elaborate, not secure, have to test before use, You can also do it in TCL script : open file one by one, search and replace text
Thankyou for the reply"Do you want to automatically convert the format from hex to binary in multiple signaltap files ?" I was given multiple signaltap files(having acquired data) for analysis, My work procedure is as wollows 1) convert the signaltap II files(having acquired data) from hex to binary 2) save the signaltap.stp 3) Create a signaltap II list file which is a txt file I use this text file for analysis in Matlab But since i was given many signal tap files for analysis , i think automating of creation of signaltapII list file would be helpful to reduce my task Also i am thinking that for every action we do in Quartus GUI should have a script running in the background So i want to see these scripts executed to automate my work May be the solution you provided can help me to change the stp from hex to bin but i cannot extract the signaltap list file for analysis
Sorry, I hardly understand :You want to extract "data log" from signaltap files, don't you ? For this, you can use MATLAB MEX function, see design debugging using the signaltap ii embedded logic analyzer chapter of the quartus ii handbook (http://www.altera.com/literature/hb/qts/qts_qii53009.pdf) I don't know this tool. Or you can "export" "data log" to .CSV by script (precisely TCL script) : see http://quartushelp.altera.com/current/mergedprojects/tafs/tafs/tcl_pkg_stp_ver_1.0_cmd_export_data_l... You write a tcl script (text file for example "myscript.tcl") for quartus stp which looks like :
# package require (I add this) package require ::quartus::stp # opens signaltap session open_session -name stp1.stp # capture data to log named log1, timeout after 5 seconds if no trigger occurs run -instance auto_signaltap_0 -signal_set signal_set_1 -trigger trigger_1 -data_log log_1 -timeout 5 # export data into a VCD file (I have corrected the command) export_data_log -instance auto_signaltap_0 -signal_set signal_set_1 -trigger trigger_1 -data_log log_1 -filename log_1.vcd -format vcd # close signaltap session close_sessionSave the file to your signaltap file directory In a standard Windows terminal, go to your signaltap file directory and type : "quartus_stp -t myscript.tcl" I haven't tried things like this, So no warranty. This is for ONE stp file. If you want to automate the process for multiple file you had to run the script for each file, many ways to do this (possible in tcl script but if you don't know TCL scripting, you will spend a lot of hard hours). If you really want, I could answer. Good luck !!
Hi Altera_Forum, sorry to bother you. Could you please tell whether "open_session" command can open SignalTapII GUI, and the user can use this SignalTapII GUI to add nodes? Thank you very much.