Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18972 Discussions

Quartus failed to compile Verilog code generated by AOC compiler

SXian3
Novice

Environment:

Intel vLab servers quipped with Stratix-10 PAC. Software: Quartus Pro 18.1.2 with patches + acceleration stack d5005_ias_2_0_pv

I was trying to compile a simple OpenCL program into verilog using AOC, make some changes and then use Quartus to generate bitstream from it. Here is the command I used:

# generate RTL with AOC aoc -rtl gemm.cl -board=pac_s10_dc   # change to work directory cd gemm   # run the shell scripts under build folder source build/run.sh

The error message I got from Quartus when running the last command as followed. Quartus failed to open the qsys file.

Info: Performing IP Generation using the command line: /export/fpga/tools/quartus_pro/18.1.2_patches_202_203_206/quartus/sopc_builder/bin/qsys-generate {--family=Stratix 10} --part=1SX280HN2F43E2VG --block-symbol-file --quartus-pro ject=/homes/sx233/test/gemm/build/dcp --rev=afu_default --top-level-generation=true --synthesis=verilog --parallel=off kernel_system.qsys Error: Error opening /homes/sx233/test/gemm/build/kernel_system.qsys.

When I logged out and run the command again, I got a different error message:

Info: Command: quartus_sh -t add_bbb_to_pr_project.tcl Info: Using INI file /homes/sx233/test/gemm/build/quartus.ini Error (125036): Assignment value SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE WITH MAXIMUM PLACEMENT EFFORT for assignment OPTIMIZATION_MODE is illegal File: /homes/sx233/test/gemm/build/afu_default.qsf Line: 49 Info (125063): set_global_assignment -name OPTIMIZATION_MODE "SUPERIOR PERFORMANCE WITH MAXIMUM PLACEMENT EFFORT" File: /homes/sx233/test/gemm/build/afu_default.qsf Line: 49 Info (125076): Specified assignment value "OPTIMIZATION_MODE" must include one of the following values: "Aggressive Area", "Aggressive Performance", "Aggressive Power", "Balanced", "High Performance Effort", "High Power Effort " Error (125091): Tcl error: ERROR: Illegal assignment name: IP_TOOL_VENDOR_NAME. Specify a legal assignment name. To view the list of legal assignment names, run "get_all_assignment_names".

0 Kudos
7 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

I don't know if this is the issue, but did you run the aoc command with the typo you have there? It should be "-board".

#iwork4intel

SXian3
Novice

Thanks for your reply.

That's a typo. I should have run the correct command, because I can see that the correct target board is used in the log from AOC.

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I suspect that this might be related to the Vlab setup issue. Please create new forum case in https://communities.intel.com/groups/harp so that they can help related to Vlab related issue.

SXian3
Novice

Okay. Thanks John.

Actually I tried the same command on a private server, and got some similar errors... Have no idea what's going wrong.

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

When you mention the same error on private server, may I know the step you used and could you share with me your project so that I can duplicate the issue?

SXian3
Novice

I tried Quartus 17.4 and 19.1, but neither of them actually worked. In Quartus 19.1, I sourced the setup scripts to make the ENV variables are set correctly (e.g. INTELFPGAOCLSDKROOT e.t.c), and then I ran `aoc -rtl gems.cl` to generate RTL and change to the work directory. There is a XML file named `board_spec.xml` in the folder, and I just followed the commands in that XML to run the compilation.

For Quartus 17.4, it is almost the same steps, except that I have to use `aoc -c gemm.cl` to generate the RTL. I can share you with source code I have to reproduce the issue (you need to replace the TXT extension with CL). Thanks!

JohnT_Intel
Employee

Hi,

If you would like to genrerate C to RTL then I would recommend you to use HLS flow. Please refer to https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/div1537518568620.html.

The reason is that I do not think the Arria 10 PAC is able to support OpenCL to generate RTL only.