Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Running Quartus Tcl in a Jupyter notebook

RR0007
Beginner

I am working on a number of complex (for me, anyway) Tcl scripts for FPGA flows.  I have used Jupyter notebooks for Python work, and really like the producitivity Jupyter provides.

While I know that Jupyter has been used with Tcl (the Xilinx Pynq stuff is one FPGA specific example), has anyone tried to use Jupyter to develop Quartus scripts?  If you have, I would appreciate is you could help me out.

Cheers, RR

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Robinson,

I don't have any experience in developing tcl script for fpga flow in jupyter env.

But if want to an example for the script flow Quartus, you may refer to link below

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/design-examples/quartus/tcl.html

May I know how the jupyter helps as you mentioned with Xilinx Pynq stuff? 

Is it just do execute the code or have some sorts of dummy synthesis engine that help to simulate the script flow?

0 Kudos
RR0007
Beginner
Couple of questions here.  The Xilinx Pynq project is based on having fixed FPGA configurations, and then using Python as the programming language for the embedded processors.  The project is based on using Jupyter notebooks as the programming environment.  Jupyter notebooks are a great way to write and interactively debug code, add comments and basically end up with a packaged application that is easy to hand off. 

Since creating Tcl scripts and testing them is highly interactive, being able to run a Tcl kernel in a Jupyter notebook would allow fast Tcl script development and an efficient debugging environment.  Cutting and pasting code into System Console works, but is not a particularly efficient way to write code and debug it.

I know that there are examples in the wild of using Tcl as the kernel for Jupyter, but the Quartus Tcl packages would be required.  Maybe I could figure out all the steps to get this running, maybe not, but was hoping someone had tried this already.

The software world continues to come up with great tools and great approaches for increased productivity.  The FPGA design world, not so much.  Using Jupyter to generate Tcl scripts for Quartus flows would be very cool.

RR
0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Robinson,

Understood and thanks.

For now, Jupiter is not supported environment for Quartus tcl package.

Let me know if there is any other concern on this.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

We do not receive any response from you to the previous reply that I have provided, thus I will put this case to close pending. Please post a response in the next 15 days to allow me to continue to support you. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos