Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

Serial Flash Loader w/ Micron N25Qxxx Serial NOR Flash

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Application Note AN-370-3.2, Using the Serial FlashLoader with the Quartus II Software, talks about programming the EPCS(Q) SPI devices with the JTAG cable and a bridge design in the FPGA. This allows you to program the Active Serial SPI Flash device without a separate SPI programming header. Great idea... However, the EPCQ device tops out at 256Mbits. The Stratix V A7 and A9 devices are larger than 256Mbits without compression...Also the 256Mbit EPCQ256 device is $63 at Digikey.  

Now, I noticed in the Stratix V GX development board schematic has a Micron N25Q256A (U53. ~$7) wired (and populated) as a 4 bit Active Serial configuration device (just like the EPCQ). However neither the user guide nor the reference manual make any mention of the part.  

https://www.alteraforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=7085  

ug_svgx_fpga_dev_kit.pdf 

rm_svgx_fpga_dev_board.pdf 

Is it possible to use The Quartus Software and the methodology described in AN-370 to program the Micron Device? Has anybody done this? The "convert programming file" tool only lets you choose Altera EPCx devices. It's interesting that the device is on the Evaluation platform, but not referenced? possible future app note?  

I want to do exactly what the application note describes; Program a serial configuration device with a JTAG USB Blaster cable using a bridge design in the FPGA. Then, on subsequent power cycles, the FPGA will load from the Micron Serial PROM using Active Serial.  

Any Ideas?  

Thanks
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

To all the people that have read this post: I started a service request and got an answer! 

Micron N25Q256A can be used. You generate the .jic (JTAG Indirect Configuration) file using the Convert Programming File utility. For configuration device, you choose the Altera EPCQ256. Then you do exactly what APP Note 370 says, and it "should" all work. I haven't tried it yet, but when I do, I'll update this thread. 

Also, there are plans for EPCQ512 devices in the future. Once the SW supports those, then theoretically, the Micron N25Q512 devices will also work. Good news for Stratix V A7 devices and larger.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Success!!!! Board boots custom bit file from Micron PROM. Actually used Active Serial x4 to speed up programming. 

Did everything is Application Note AN-370. Was using the Stratix V GX evaluation board that has an A7 part and a Micron 256Mb SPI Serial Flash. Remember to COMPRESS the bit file. A7 bit file is larger than 256Mb (~1.48Mb larger). 

Can't wait for SW support for the 512Mb Flash.... 

Ignore the double attachment....Same pic.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Success!!!! Board boots custom bit file from Micron PROM. Actually used Active Serial x4 to speed up programming. 

Did everything is Application Note AN-370. Was using the Stratix V GX evaluation board that has an A7 part and a Micron 256Mb SPI Serial Flash. Remember to COMPRESS the bit file. A7 bit file is larger than 256Mb (~1.48Mb larger). 

Can't wait for SW support for the 512Mb Flash.... 

Ignore the double attachment....Same pic. 

--- Quote End ---  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Hello, 

I also trying to do something similar to what you are doing but with the N25Q512 and N25Q00A. Did you instantiate the SFL inside your design or used the programmer normally? 

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I used the programmer only. I chose the EPCQ256 device in the Quartus SW. If you are trying to use the N25Q512, I'm not sure if the SW will support it yet. There is no EPCQ512 device yet in Altera's catalog.  

If it works, please let us know. Update this thread. 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am trying to do the same thing here. Did you have any luck with this?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

We are trying to use a N25Q512 device from Micron with a Stratix V. Is this device supported? If not - considering that N25Q256 is supported - is there a workaround to use this device.  

We have an SPI-FLASH connected to a Stratix V. The Stratix V is configured in Active Serial Mode and we are trying to boot the FPGA with the code loaded in the serial FLASH.  

The FLASH is socketed - so we can program it externally. Can someone advice what format does the FPGA image needs to be to allow direct programming of the SPI-FLASH? 

Thanks
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Just to let you all know: 

we tried the N25Q512 with a StratixV and it is not working. A explanation could be that this is a stacked die device, and maybe thats why its not working. The quartus programmer says programming is complete, but verification fails and the flash is still empty afterwards (checked with a logic analyzer during configuration readout). We can write or read the flash with the ASMI parrallel IP core, but it looks like there the addressing is somehow wrong. 

Anyway, we changed the flash to the N25Q256, and that one is working without any problems. We never tried the EPCQ512, because that one is far to expensive...
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

What did you assign your signals in the top level block ie. noe and others? 

Thanks!
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

If you want use N25Q256A/MT25Q512ABB in QUAD mode with ALTERA SERIAL FLASH CONTROLLER IP, EXTENDED QUAD INPUT FAST PROGRAM(12h) command is not supported, you can not program the device by this IP in QUAD mode, but STANDARD mode is compatible with EPCQ256. 

Here is the differences between EPCQs and other options. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

EXTENDED QUAD INPUT FAST PROGRAM required cmd-address-data => 1bit-4bit-4bit  

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Command Set EPCQ256 N25Q256A83 N25Q256A13 MT25Q512ABB 9E/9Fh 9E/9Fh 9E/9Fh 9E/9Fh READ ID 06h 06h 06h 06h WRITE ENABLE 05h 05h 05h 05h READ STATUS REGISTER 0Bh 0Bh 0Bh 0Bh FAST READ EBh EBh EBh EBh (X4)QUAD INPUT/OUTPUT FAST READ 02h 02h 02h 02h PAGE PROGRAM 12h 38h n/a 3Eh (X4)EXTENDED QUAD INPUT FAST PROGRAM D8h D8h D8h D8h SECTOR ERASE 20h 20h 20h 20h 4KB SUBSECTOR ERASE  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

12h/38h 4-BYTE PAGE PROGRAM command is NOT SUPPORTED by N25Q256A13EF840x, this one is used in stratix V GX demo board.
0 Kudos