Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20725 Discussions

Shared reconfiguration controller for 2 (separate) transceivers

arno_va
New Contributor I

For my design I'm using a Cyclone V FPGA with 3 transceivers. My design requires 2 separate (duplex) transceiver fiber links. To accomplish this I'm using 2 separate transceiver instances and I assumed it would require 2 separate reconfiguration controllers as well. But as it turns out when I try to compile my design it doesn't work. I'm getting "Error (11687): Channel stm_fbr_tx_out(n) is assigned to location PIN_U1, channel adc_fbr_tx_out(n) is assigned to location PIN_Y3, however channels with different reconfiguration controllers cannot be placed in the same channel triplet. Modify your design so the two channels share the same reconfigure controller."

I tried to find how I can make this work (without combining the 2 separate transceivers into 1 (with 2 lanes), but I can't find any eg. documentation about this. Can I even have 2 completely separate transceivers with a single reconfiguration controller. And if so: how do I all tie it together?

Any help would be greatly appreciated since I'm completely stuck at the moment.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
arno_va
New Contributor I

Hi Zying,

One small question. Is it correct that when I create 2 separate transceiver instances, I need a (single) reconfig-controller with the following settings: "Number of reconfig interfaces = 4" and "Optional interface grouping = 2,2" ?

Kind regards,

Arno

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
11 Replies
ZiYing_Intel
Employee

Hi arno_va,

Can you share your .qar file here? So that I can try debug the issue from my side.

Best regards,

zying

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Dear Zying,

Thanks for your reply. I will provide the .qar-file as soon as I'm back at work (tomorrow).

Just to clarify about what I'm trying to accomplish: I basically want to interface a single C5G board with 2 (fiber) transceivers to 2 other C5G boards (each with a single transceiver).

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Dear Zying,

Here's the qar-file you requested. Hopefully it helps in resolving the issue.

ps. the transceiver/reconfig ip instances are at the bottom of the top-level.

Cheers,

Arno

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Dear Zying,

Any update on this?

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
ZiYing_Intel
Employee

Hi amo_va,

I would suggest you to use one reconfig controller. The same triplet can only be driven by no more than one reconfiguration controller. Thus, the two channels need to be driven by the same reconfig controller.

Best regards,

zying

0 Kudos
ZiYing_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I wish to follow up.

Do you still have any question about this issue?

Best regards,

zying

0 Kudos
arno_va
New Contributor I

Hi Zying,

One small question. Is it correct that when I create 2 separate transceiver instances, I need a (single) reconfig-controller with the following settings: "Number of reconfig interfaces = 4" and "Optional interface grouping = 2,2" ?

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
ZiYing_Intel
Employee

Hi Amo,

It's ok if you are using Cyclone V.

Best regards,

zying

ZiYing_Intel
Employee

Hi Amo,

For your .qar file, we found the error already. It was the pin placement causes fitter error. When change Ch1 =>Ch2, it resolve fitter error.

Best regards,

zying

arno_va
New Contributor I

Hi Zying,

Ah yes, thanks! That solved it

Kind regards,

Arno

0 Kudos
ZiYing_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Since the issue has been resolved, I am now close the case. If you have any question after the case closed, please do feel free to submit another issue. There will have people reach out to you.

Best regards,

zying

0 Kudos