Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20810 Discussions

Should the lpm_counter and lpm_add_sub-megafunctions, etc. return to the MegaWizard?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

It looks like that these functions are missing in Q10.0 by purpose (according to mySupport). I think they are/were very useful for schematic design, therefore I want to start a poll to keep them. 

Regards, 

Thomas
0 Kudos
9 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

It looks like that these functions are missing in Q10.0 by purpose (according to mySupport). I think they are/were very useful for schematic design, therefore I want to start a poll to keep them. 

Regards, 

Thomas 

--- Quote End ---  

Hi Thomas, 

do they offer some kind of conversion tool and do they recommend instead ? 

Why do I find still the lpm_add_sub in the Quartus 10.0 help without any indication 

that they should not used anymore ? 

Kind regards 

GPK
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This was the basic response I got from mySupport: 

According to Integer Arithmetric User guide (http://www.altera.com/literature/ug/ug_lpm_alt_mfug.pdf) page 1, the LPM_ABS, LPM_ADD_SUB, LPM_COMPARE, LPM_COUNTER, LPM_DIVIDE, ALTACCUMULATE and ALTSQRT megafunctions are not available in the MegaWizard Plug-In Manager because they are not supported for new designs in the Quartus II 10.0 software. However, you can still compile existing designs in the new Quartus II software. 

Regards, 

Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I get the feeling they are trying to steer people away from schematic design and use HDL instead, especially now Q10 has no simulator.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I get the feeling they are trying to steer people away from schematic design and use HDL instead, especially now Q10 has no simulator. 

--- Quote End ---  

I think, Altera always had a good schematic editor and a lot of people used it, at least for the top-level. (I think this is also true for many examples provided by Altera.) So I really hope they change their decision... 

BTW: Older Quartus-versions can be downloaded at: https://www.altera.com/download/archives/arc-index.jsp (https://www.altera.com/download/archives/arc-index.jsp

Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

--- Quote End ---  

LPM Mega Functions are back in V10.1, in part due to the comments in this forum.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes. I use them all the time.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

LPM Mega Functions are back in V10.1, in part due to the comments in this forum. 

--- Quote End ---  

Yes, great to see that. 

Thomas
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I recently updated my version of Quartus to 11.0 from 9.1. I discovered that some of the LPM_ functions can not be edited using the Megawizard in versions later than 10.0. I do most of my design using the graphical design entry and I find the LPM functions very useful. Altera, please re-enable Megawizard support for all of the LPM functions!

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

LPM library is phased out as Quartus II 11

0 Kudos