Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
18976 Discussions

Simultaneous Read and Write to DDR3 SDRAM

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

simultaneous read and write on ddr3 sdram using soft sdram controller with uiphy ip via qsys interconnect. 

An AXI-MM master is connected to Qsys Interconnect to perform read and write operation on SDRAM slave, 

Cyclone V is the FPGA device, with PL only system. 

Read is initiated first, with read length- 512, Write is initiated later say after 20 cycles of delay from Read operation. with a length 512.  

Read address locations does not overlap with that of write. 

This specific operation fails as Interconnect drops the wr_ready signal halting the operation. 

While The same worked well using Xilinx Interconnect on a Xilinx Device. (independent read and write on Cyclone 5 was successful but the operation demands a simultaneous R/W) 

Is there any Interconnect requirements or bridges that I would permit simultaneous read and write?.  

Thanks for help
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Ahm ... having worked with a DDR3 SDRAM protocol before, the underlying protocol doesn't allow simultaneous reads and writes. As a result, any attempts you make will need to be buffered in order to give the appearance of being simultaneous. Perhaps you should check your FIFO/buffering settings therefore. 

Dan
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Ahm ... having worked with a DDR3 SDRAM protocol before, the underlying protocol doesn't allow simultaneous reads and writes. As a result, any attempts you make will need to be buffered in order to give the appearance of being simultaneous. Perhaps you should check your FIFO/buffering settings therefore. 

Dan 

--- Quote End ---  

FIFO setting as in which IP ?, My master has no Provision for it, I did not see any on the Slave controller either. Please specify. 

Thank you
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

FIFO settings as in which IP, My master does not support it. I did not find any buffer on the slave controller either, Would you please specify where ? 

Thank you
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I guess that would depend upon which IP's you are using. A master connected directly to an SDRAM device cannot both read and write. The wires just don't work in both directions, they are shared and (worse) take a couple of (memory) clocks to switch directions. If the controller you are using doesn't have a FIFO within it, then you'll need to either find another controller or place a FIFO within your own design. 

I imagine, from your statement above, that Xilinx's controller must've had some extra stuff within it. I know from my own testing that their controller nearly doubled the memory access latency from the minimum, but that's neither here nor there as I have yet to measure memory latency with Altera. 

Dan