Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20684 Discussions

Stratix III DE3 and DDR2

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hello, 

I am using the Terasic DE3 development board to create a Qsys SoC with a NIOS2, DDR2 memory (for an 1 GB RAM SODIMM module). I am following Terasic's pinout for all the DDR2 pins, but timing isn't being met for Read and Write as Altera complains about the following: 

Critical Warning: Warning (307018): Memory clock pin mem_clk[0], mem_clk[1] must be placed on the same edge of the device 

Critical Warning: Warning (307020): mem_clk[0] was placed on the right edge of the device 

Critical Warning: Warning (307020): mem_clk[1] was placed on the bottom edge of the device 

Critical Warning: Read Capture and Write timing analyses may not be valid due to violated timing model assumptions 

I also notice when I try to read and write to my memory, on occasions it gives garbage and I suspect its this timing that is not correct.  

Anybody have any experience with this or any clues on what I could try? 

Salman
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

hellow,i am using de3 board these days but i encounter some problems.when i read the data from ddr2,it seems that the output data does not match the data i write in .if you successfully finish the ddr2 data transfer on de3 board,could you send me you successful program or or instruction.my email is 1322826341@qq.com

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

hellow,i am using de3 board these days but i encounter some problems.when i read the data from ddr2,it seems that the output data does not match the data i write in .if you successfully finish the ddr2 data transfer on de3 board,could you send me you successful program or or instruction.my email is 1322826341@qq.com 

--- Quote End ---  

I will give it to you soon. I have been busy with some work. Hopefully in the next few days... 

Salman
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,I also meet this problem.I use the DDR2 in DE3 board with IP. But there are some problems with it.it seems that the output data does not match the data i write in.Can you give a successful program?Thanks very much!my email is 1165366869@qq.com.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi,I encounter same problems. I used the DDR2 IP in de3 board.but the output data is not right.Could you give me a successful program.My email is yutaohurry@gmail.com.Thanks very much!

0 Kudos
LaiMickey
Beginner

Me too.

But I think we can ignore this Critical Warning.

The pin locations of mem_clk[0] and mem_clk[1] are the DDR2 SO-DIMM  socket pins.

They solder to the FPGA pin. Thus, we can not change the pin locations of mem_clk[0] and mem_clk[1].

The problem is somewhere else. 😕

LaiMickey

0 Kudos