Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20638 Discussions

Stratix10 muiltboot configuration

GDeXi
Beginner

I have two image in QSPI flash,both have PCIe funtion, It is hoped that the PCIe will not be hung up during image switching,There is some example design or user guide for provide reference.

By the way,which IP core can provide multi boot function for S10?

​ Thanks!!! have a nice day.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Guo,

In your design, are you using PCIe as the interface to program the FPGA? If not, then you will just need to generate the bitstream as usual with PCIe design in Quartus design.

To perform multiboot function, it depends on the configuration scheme that you are using. It can be Active Serial or AVST. For active serial, you will need to have "mailbox IP" or "serial flash mailbox ip". For AVST, you will need "PFL II IP" and a host (it can be processor, CPLD or MAX 10).

For more information, you may refer to link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/stratix-10/archives/ug-s10-config-17-1.pdf

Thank You.

0 Kudos
GDeXi
Beginner

When I switch between two iamges that contain PCIE, won't it hang because of this?

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

So you are using PCIe to transfer the image file? Is it so?

0 Kudos
GDeXi
Beginner

I'm thinking that there may be some gap time between two images  switch to load the code, so that the host fail to recognize  the PCIe during this time and hangs up

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Assuming you are using active serial configuration scheme which you will program the flash first with PCIe. The image will not be programmed into FPGA from flash unless you have rebooted. Thus, it wouldnt affect it.

0 Kudos
User1574410249703619

I don't use PCIe to  transfer the image file. just both image in the flash have PCIe function, when i use "mailbox ip" to update image , I just think there is some gap when switch to image . so that the host fail to recognize the PCIe during this time and hangs up.

image1 has PCIe function, and image2 has same PCIe function. the host driver will be failed when change two image using "mailbox ip"?

Thanks!!! have fun.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi De-xin,

When you said about host, is it the processor which is connected to FPGA via PCIe? If it so, it depends. However, if the PCIe address that is recognised by the processor is still the same, i am sure that the host will not fail to recognize the PCIe. Is all depend on host side.

Thank You.

0 Kudos
User1574410249703619

Sorry for my expressiveness, thank you for solving my confusion, thank you

0 Kudos