Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20693 Discussions

TSE, nichestack tx from fixed location

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

i am using a design example where the tx sgdma is getting its data from an sdram. i start it all with the sendto() function. problem is the data i want to send comes from a fifo, and so it seems a detour putting it in the sdram and sending from there. 

is there any easy way to make the tx sgdma fetch data directly from the fifo? in sopc builder i can connect it the way i want, but is fetching from the same location like this possible with the nichestack?
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

You can send directly data to the MAC without going through the DMA, but then you need to bypass the nichestack and generate all the Ethernet packet in hardware. 

Have a look at the nios ii udp offload example (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/nios_ii_udp_offload_example).
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thanks, i will. but thats not what i meant. I want to use the DMA, only instead of making it get data from a memory, i would like it to read from a fixed location. more spesific a onchip fifo. is this possible? 

--- Quote Start ---  

You can send directly data to the MAC without going through the DMA, but then you need to bypass the nichestack and generate all the Ethernet packet in hardware. 

Have a look at the nios ii udp offload example (http://www.alterawiki.com/wiki/nios_ii_udp_offload_example). 

--- Quote End ---  

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Yes it is possible but in that case you need to bypass the Interniche stack and directly setup and use the SGDMA from your code.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I see. the stack is very useful so i dont want to bypass it entirely, I hoped it could be done with minor modifications to the stack.  

thought will be removed =) 

thanks
0 Kudos