Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

USB Blaster 2 + MAX10 - TCK / programming issue

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

I've designed a MAX10 10M02SCE144I7G board to be programmed with JTAG. Programming device is Altera USB Blaster II. When I try programming with Quartus Prime, it says: 

Error (209040): Can't access JTAG chain 

Error (209012): Operation failed 

TCK is pulled down with 10k, 

TMS and TDI are pulled up with 10k 

I've checked TCK signal with an oszilloscope, showing a broken signal, see attached pictures. 

To verify, I've tryed connecting directly onto USB blaser: GND and +3V3 (VCC TARGET) pins (1,10 & 4) + TCK pin pulled down with 1kOhm (so no connection to my board), the TCK clock still shows the same weird behaviour. 

A 2nd. USB Blaster is showing the same pattern. 

Can somebody please help me identifying the problem? 

Attachment: TCK signal when pressing "Start" in the Quartus Prime Programmer, zoomed in and complete view.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

the USB-Blaster II download cable has a default TCK frequency of 24 MHz. Can you try to decrease TCK frequency to 6MHz? For more information one can check the following specification, https://www.altera.com/content/dam/altera-www/global/en_us/pdfs/literature/ug/ug_usb_blstr_ii_cable.pdf

Regards, 

Martin
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The JTAG signals need to be clean before the Quartus programmer works properly. The EE's I work with say it is important to treat them as a transmission line. See the JTAG spec for details on termination requirements.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I've lowered the clockrate to 6MHz and added some termination, it's working now! 

Thanks for your help guys, really appreciate it! 

Regards
0 Kudos