Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20894 Discussions

USB Blaster II AS Mode does not go into user mode after programming

HuaHongGan
Beginner

I run into problem where my board is not resetting to user mode after programming the POF file using USB Blaster II AS mode. I checked the board schematic and it is matched to Figure 8-6 under:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf

nCE = 10K pull down GND.

CONFIG & CONF_DONE = 10K pull up to 3.3V.

Also, this does not happen when I am using USB Blaster I. By using the same hardware, same POF, same version of quartus programmer and USB Blaster I, right after I burn the new POF the board is up and running in user mode. 

I've scope a couple pins and I got this,

Blaster 1

Idle/Power On

Programming

After Programming

CONF_DONE

CONFIG

nCE

Blaster 2

No Program

Programming

After Programming

CONF_DONE

CONFIG

nCE

USB Blaster 1 act correctly by releasing CONF_DONE and nCE after programming which make the program run. However, on the Blaster 2 it doesn’t do that. It seems like it is still latching and not releasing the IO.

Note: this comparison was done on the same Hardware & Software except switching out between Blaster I and II.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for reaching out to Intel community.

• What is the FPGA that was used?
  • Do you get any error message? Please show us the screenshot.
  • Does the USB Blaster II ever work before?
  • Have you try using another USB blaster II with the board?

Regards,

AIman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Have you refer to our troubleshooting page for CONF_DONE pin does not go high?

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/configuration/troubleshooting.html

0 Kudos
HuaHongGan
Beginner

Hi Alman,

• What is the FPGA that was used?
    • We are using 3 type of FPGA family which is cyclone3, 4 and 10LP. All of them encounter the same problem. 
  • Do you get any error message? Please show us the screenshot.
    • No error message. When we load the POF through quartus_pgm it is succesfully. However, after it is done flashing the system doesn't go into user mode. We have to either recycle the power or remove the 10 pin USB-BlasterII connector from the system. 
  • Does the USB Blaster II ever work before?
    • As I mention on the above, the USB BlasterII work for flashing the POF in the EPCS but the main problem that bug me is after it is done programming is doesn't release the FPGA back to user mode instead the USB Blaster I does. 
  • Have you try using another USB blaster II with the board?
    • Yes, we bought 25 USB Blaster II and I did swap a couple USB Blaster II on the same board. They are repeatable.

About the troubleshoot link that you sent, here are my response.

• I am pretty sure I got the MSEL set to AS Standard Mode according to the each Cyclone Family datasheet. If I do not have the MSEL right in the 1st place why does the USB Blaster I will work for me but not the Blaster II. 
  • I have also tried different version of quartus_pgm and it doesn't solve the issue. The main version we use is Ver19.1.
  • All the pull up/down resistors on all those config pins are setup according to Figure 8-6 under which I have already mention on the original post. 

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/cyclone-iv/cyiv-51008.pdf

• I have not probe out nCONFIG, nSTATUS, DCLK and DATA signals. I can do that and post it. However, with the same system, config hardware instead of using Blaster II but Blaster I. Why it works in the 1st place? So doubt it is a signal integrity causing this issue. 

Thanks
Gan

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

This can cause by the clock signal is not clean. Can you lower down the TCK frequency for the USB Blaster II to 16MHz or lower?

Steps below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683719/current/changing-the-tck-frequency.html

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
HuaHongGan
Beginner

Hi Aiman,

I am pretty sure I've tried that long long time ago and it doesn't work. I even lower the TCK clock speed to 6M, 1M and 100KHz. They all act the same.

Here is my TCK/DCLK signal (pin1) from the USB-Blaster II. 

I got good 3.3V & I have lower the clock signal speed to 100KHz and still doesn't work. 

HuaHongGan_1-1702417672365.png

Thanks
Gan

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thank you for the update.

The only difference between USB Blaster I and II is their TCK clock speed.

-Have you try on different PC with the USB Blaster II?

-Howe many board have you try? Is this your own board or Dev kit?

-Can you also try using other board?

Regards,

Aiman

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

We do not receive any response from you to the previous answer that I have provided. This thread will be transitioned to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you

0 Kudos