Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

USB Blaster driver was installed, but Altera Programmer Hardware Setup can't find it.

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all 

I re-install my PC with new HD, because the old HD is broken. 

The USB blaster is work normally before I re-install, and it's work normally when plug in other PC. 

The system is win 7  

I re-install the QuartusII 10.0, 11.1 sp2, and 16.0. 

I install USB Blaster driver, and I can find it in windows 7 Device Manager, but the strange thing is, USB Blaster can not be find in altera hardware setup of Porgrammer~~~~ 

anyone can help me ??? 

I try to re-install USB Blaster driver "N" times, still can't be find by Altera hardware setup. 

Please anyone can help me??? 

Thanks a lot !!! 

Lillian Chen 

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Did you check that pop-up list there, Currently Selected Hardware?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear sstrell 

Could you explanation more detail, because I can't understand what you mean ?  

Thank you. 

Lillian Chen
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

The pop-up menu there named Currently Selected Hardware. Is the USB Blaster listed in that pop-up?

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

No, I can't see USB Blaster in the list of pop up menu.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I have the same issue, Master Blaster (which I do not have) is listed but not USB Blaster.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

This issue is ancient. Every time I need to set up Quartus and USB Blaster on a computer it's the same thing. The programmer can't find the USB Blaster.  

This has been a problem for so long, I don't get why Intel/Altera doesn't fix this. 

Last workaround was to update the driver pointing to the drivers directory in the Quartus 17.0 installation but not the Blaster directories. This is really silly. At least write it somewhere so it's easy to find the fix.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Dear all 

I try to install 17.0, but still not work!! 

Is there any suggestion ?
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Part of the issue is there are actually 3 drivers that need to be installed. The first driver makes the device show up as "USB Blaster". The second two drivers are virtual to make the JTAG device appear - essentially the blaster suddenly appears as two devices instead of 1. 

If you install the driver manually pointing to the USB blaster directory it tends to only install one of the drivers. Instead if you point to the "C:\altera\15.0\quartus\drivers\" folder and check the box to include subdirectories, it should install fine. I've never had any problems getting it to install in this way.
0 Kudos