Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20688 Discussions

USB Blaster stopped working with Windows 10 update?

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

So it may be just a coincidence but last week everything was working good. On Friday my system updated with the latest Windows 10 1803 update and I noticed in Quartus ver 17.1 and the standalone programmer that i could no longer see the USB blaster. I tired another USB blaster and the same issue. The Device Manager shows the USB Blaster under the USB devices and says it's working normal. Thinking maybe i had a corrupted driver I uninstalled the driver and tried reinstalling the driver using the one that gets installed with the software and I got an error saying Windows has encountered a problem installing the driver, Access is denied. I am a full admin on this system so i don't feel "rights" is an issue. So i tried rebooting the computer and disables driver signature enforcement and that didn't help. I tired to uninstall the 1803 WIndows update but Windows came back saying that it can't be uninstalled. I downloaded the latest ver 18 standalone programmer and tried that driver and no change, same error.  

So wondering about admin rights i tried two other computers in my lab that had the 1803 update as well and I got the same problem tried to do a clean install of the USB blaster. I found one computer that was still at the Windows 10 1709 update and tried installing the driver. Here I got the issue where it tells me the hash for the file is not present, so i rebooted the computer and disables driver signature enforcement and was able to install the driver and reboot as normal with everything working. I'm on a domain so the computer has to be up to date so even rebuilding the computer and not do the 1803 update isn't an option. Anyone else have this issue?
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi 

--- Quote Start ---  

The Device Manager shows the USB Blaster under the USB devices and says it's working normal. 

--- Quote End ---  

Since drivers are working properly, 

Can you check by reinstalling Quartus tool on one window 10 updated machine? 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

(This message was posted on behalf of Intel Corporation)
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

Hi 

Since drivers are working properly, 

Can you check by reinstalling Quartus tool on one window 10 updated machine? 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

--- Quote End ---  

Well the driver seemed to be working ok before i uninstalled it to install a newer one. If i load an old or new driver driver it see Altera USB Blaster but said it encountered a problem and may not work properly. Now that is where my issue is I can't install the driver without the Windows has encountered a problem error. So at this time it the device manager just see unknown USB Device. If say ok to the error it will seem like the driver is loaded but I still can't see the blaster in Quartus or the standalone programmer anymore.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Hi, 

--- Quote Start ---  

So wondering about admin rights i tried two other computers in my lab that had the 1803 update as well and I got the same problem tried to do a clean install of the USB blaster. I found one computer that was still at the Windows 10 1709 update and tried installing the driver. Here I got the issue where it tells me the hash for the file is not present, so i rebooted the computer and disables driver signature enforcement and was able to install the driver and reboot as normal with everything working. I'm on a domain so the computer has to be up to date so even rebuilding the computer and not do the 1803 update isn't an option. Anyone else have this issue? 

--- Quote End ---  

It might be windows 10, 1803 update issue. I am having 1607 update so i couldn`t replicate the issue. 

Best Regards 

Vikas Jathar  

0 Kudos