Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20644 Discussions

Use an647 design example to send data to PC over Ethernet

jlanier
Novice

I'm wondering how to alter the design example (attached below) to send chosen data to my pc. I'm confused on what I need to do to the design example. I have the internal loopback test working but now I am stuck. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SengKok_L_Intel

Hi,

Below is the OSI model:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OSI_model

The TSE IP or this example design is supporting the Physical Layer and Data link layer (MAC), which are layers 1 and 2 from the OSI model. This depends on what you are trying to achieve, and you might need to create other layers on your own to achieve that. Besides, you may consider using other tools on your PC (e.g. Wireshark) to monitor the ethernet packet transfer.

Regards -SK  

0 Kudos
jlanier
Novice

Do you know where I can find examples of creating the other layers? I'm very new to Ethernet communication and I do not know how to do this myself. 

Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

You may search for other example designs, for instance, “simple socket server” at the link below as the starting point.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
jlanier
Novice

I can't find any examples for the Arria V GX board. Do you have a suggestion for which board to look at it? 

I went through the Using Triple-Speed Ethernet Tutorial IP for DE2-115 Boards today. I modified it to work with the Arria V GX. I attempted to use the Monitor program but I can't get it to work. I suspect this is because the DE2-115 board has two Ethernet jacks that the NiosII c file uses for the test and the Arria V GX only has a single Ethernet jack. 

I am still lost on how to send data from the FPGA to the PC and back. I think I have all the modules I need but I can't figure out how to interact with all the modules to do what I want.

This is the Triple-Speed Ethernet Tutorial I went through.
ftp://ftp.intel.com/pub/fpgaup/pub/Intel_Material/17.0/Tutorials/DE2-115/Using_Triple_Speed_Ethernet.pdf

0 Kudos
jlanier
Novice

Also, the simple socket server tutorial seems to send data from the PC to the FPGA. I would like to do the opposite. I'm not sure the simple socket server is what I need here.

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

The simple socket driver example design is not available for the Arria V from the link below. Therefore, you might need to do the design migration from other devices manually.

https://fpgacloud.intel.com/devstore/platform/

Regards -SK

0 Kudos
SengKok_L_Intel

If further support is needed in this thread, please post a response within 15 days. After 15 days, this thread will be transitioned to community support. The community users will be able to help you with your follow-up questions. 

0 Kudos