Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20790 Discussions

Using AS and .sof

KenBee
Beginner

I wish to update an old Cyclone3 using usb-blaster and epcs16. Programmer selects .sof ok but tries to use JTAG. Changing mode to AS results in the .sof file being de-selected and I cannot select it manually despite it being in the output file. Is there a special setting somewhere?

I initially used Quartus 7.1 but, of course, this is not compatable with windows 10 so I am using 13.1.

I have successfully reprogrammed my old DE - from version 7.1(!) so I know everything else works.

(ps. I did ask once before but I was unable to respond to the person who tried to help. My apologies in advance if this happens again)

0 Kudos
1 Solution
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

An .sof can only be used to program directly over JTAG.  To put a programming file in a flash/config device, you need a different file format, like .pof or .jic or others.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

An .sof can only be used to program directly over JTAG.  To put a programming file in a flash/config device, you need a different file format, like .pof or .jic or others.

0 Kudos
NurAiman_M_Intel
Employee

I’m glad that your question has been addressed, I now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos
FvM
Valued Contributor III
Required file format depends on how EPCS connects to programmer. If it has additional AS programming connector (legacy method), you need to convert .sof to .pof file. If it connects through FPGA and JTAG, use .jic.
0 Kudos