Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
21008 Discussions

Using MAX V Parallel Flash Loader to configure Xil Artix

steve_ht
Beginner

I have an already existing project containing Arria V FPGA (with NIOS II soft processor) and a MAX V CPLD as a system controller. In this system an external flash memory is attached to the MAX V containing configuration data of Arria V which is loaded into it by the PFL IP. Arria V has an Ethernet connection where it can receive new configuration image and update the MAX V external flash memory.

Now I have to add a new resource-demanding IP which supports Xil devices only so I have to add 2x Artix Ultrascale+ FPGAs to the board. They have to be configured from the same MAX V so the flash memory should contain their images and PFL should perform configuration as well.

I found raw configuration data (.bin file) could be converted to Intel hex format and added to the flash image. So pof could be generated. But when it is in the flash/MAX V subsystem, how will it start to load to the Artix FPGAs?

Could this idea work? Do you have any experience with such arrangement?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
FvM
Honored Contributor I

Artix parallel and serial configuration schemes are not totally different from Intel FPGA. Thus I presume it's generally possible, some modifications of PFL design are probably necessary.

0 Kudos
steve_ht
Beginner

Yes, adding some glue logic or adapter seems to be feasible. My concerns at this point:

- How will it fit/connect to the same flash memory/PFL already connected to the Arria?

- If I pack the Artix bin as hex into the pof, will it run the configuration process properly for the Artix too?

I just cannot see at this moment how this whole process will run on the during at startup.

0 Kudos