Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20689 Discussions

Using Max10 ADC with PLL. Reset causes design to be unroutable.

DCamp13
Beginner

Hello all,

I'm working with the Max10(10M08DAF256C8G) and I'm trying to use the internal ADCs. I'm driving the ADC clock from a PLL.

The problem I'm running into is I get the following error when I try to build the design:

Error (170084): Can't route signal "SlowADCInterface:SlowADC|ADCPLL:ADCPLL_inst|altpll:altpll_component|ADCPLL_altpll:auto_generated|wire_pll1_clk[0]" to atom "SlowADCInterface:SlowADC|Max10ADC:u0|Max10ADC_modular_adc_0:modular_adc_0|altera_modular_adc_control:control_internal|fiftyfivenm_adcblock_top_wrapper:adc_inst|fiftyfivenm_adcblock_primitive_wrapper:adcblock_instance|primitive_instance"  

So it seems that Quartus doesn't think that it can route the design. The problem signal appears to be the clock output of the PLL given to the ADC clock input of the ADC module. Below are my instances for both of these.

// ADC clock generation ADCPLL ADCPLL_inst ( .areset ( Reset ), .inclk0 ( C50M ), .c0 ( clk_20mhz ), .locked ( locked_adc ) );   // Max 10 ADC instance Max10ADC u0 ( .adc_pll_clock_clk (clk_20mhz), // adc_pll_clock.clk .adc_pll_locked_export (locked_adc), // adc_pll_locked.export .clock_clk (C50M), // clock.clk .reset_sink_reset_n (~Reset), // reset_sink.reset_n .response_valid (ADCRdStb), // response.valid .response_channel (ADCRdChannel), // .channel .response_data (ADCRdData), // .data .response_startofpacket (), // .startofpacket .response_endofpacket (), // .endofpacket .sequencer_csr_address (sequencer_csr_address), // sequencer_csr.address .sequencer_csr_read (sequencer_csr_read), // .read .sequencer_csr_write (sequencer_csr_write), // .write .sequencer_csr_writedata (sequencer_csr_writedata), // .writedata .sequencer_csr_readdata () // .readdata );

After messing with this for a while I found that if I invert the 'Reset' signal to the PLL the design will build correctly. Or if I feed it a constant 1 or 0.

Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thank you,

Dylan

0 Kudos
3 Replies
sstrell
Honored Contributor III

Make sure you've set up the PLL parameters according to the ADC guide: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max-10/ug_m10_adc.pdf

Did you turn off the option to have an areset input to the PLL? It doesn't look like it from your code.

0 Kudos
DCamp13
Beginner

Hi sstrell,

Yep, that was my problem. I removed the async reset and now it's happy. Thank you for linking that document. I missed when I first set all this up.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
AGime3
Novice

Hello DCamp13,

Did you have any problem trying to program this 10M08DAF256C8G chip? I have made 25 boards with this chip and I have not been able to program not even a single one. Just would like to see if you had any trouble with programing it thru JTAG.

Thanks

0 Kudos