Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20704 Discussions

Variable does not increment

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I don't know why the variable clk_count does not increments, it's steel il the value 1. There is the code 

LIBRARY IEEE; USE IEEE.STD_LOGIC_1164.all; Entity TestVar Is Port ( CLK : in std_logic; RST : in std_logic ); end TestVar; ARCHITECTURE Arch OF TestVar Is TYPE State_Type IS (Power_Up); Signal pr_Stat, nx_Stat : State_Type; Begin PROCESS(CLK, RST) BEGIN IF(RST = '1')THEN pr_Stat <= Power_Up; ELSIF(Clk'EVENT and Clk = '1') THEN pr_Stat <= nx_Stat; END IF; END PROCESS; PROCESS(pr_Stat) VARIABLE clk_count : INTEGER RANGE 0 TO 4194304 := 0; BEGIN CASE pr_Stat IS When Power_Up => IF(clk_count < 50) THEN clk_count := clk_count + 1; nx_Stat <= Power_Up; ELSE clk_count := 0; END IF; When OTHERS => NULL; END CASE; END PROCESS; END Arch;
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Because pr_stat signal only has 1 state. It increments clk_count to 1 at time 0 and then because there are no more events on pr_stat, it can never increment again. 

Counters should not be in unclocked processes.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I think that the process(pr_stat) is executed every rising edge of clock. So the counter have to be incremented every rising edge.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

pr_stat is executed every rising edge, however, it values remain unchanged. Therefore the clk_count process that depends on pr_stat changes will never get incremented. The PROCESS statement is the sensitivity list for the clk_count.

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

--- Quote Start ---  

I think that the process(pr_stat) is executed every rising edge of clock. So the counter have to be incremented every rising edge. 

--- Quote End ---  

But it isnt, because you didnt make it a clocked process. This process will only execute when pr_stat changes, and because it never changes, the counter will get the initial increment at time 0 and then never do anything again. 

Make the process sensitive to the clock and make the process use the clock to make the counter increment. If you do not add if rising_edge(clk) to the process, the hardware hehaviour will not match the simulation.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Thank You, I did one process including the clock and it work. The thread can be closed.

0 Kudos