Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20687 Discussions

What is the initial state of MAX II devices pre-programming?

NBurt
Beginner

What is the initial state of the EPM1270F256I5 before the first programming? I'm trying to determine how to bias it.

0 Kudos
10 Replies
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Noah,

MAX II is having hot socketing feature in which you can drive the device during power up or power down. Meanwhile the IO is in tri-state state during device power on.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
NBurt
Beginner

Hi YL,

To clarify, do the I/O pins STAY in tri-state after power-up (but pre-programming)?

Also, what state are the DEV_OE and DEV_CLRn pins in after power-up (but pre-programming)?

Thanks,

Noah

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Noah,

IO pins will not stay in tri-state after power-up. It will follows what you have programmed and set in Quartus.

DEV_CLRn are low by default after power-up. Meanwhile for DEV_OE, it has to be asserted so that the other IO pin will not remain in tri-state mode.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/max2/max2_mii5v1.pdf (Page 51)

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
NBurt
Beginner

Hi YL,

I'm asking because my intent is to perform environmental testing with simple biasing for my organization. Due to time/money constraint, I won't be programming the PLD before or during testing.

The reason I ask about the DEV_CLRn and DEV_OE pins is that they both have alternate modes as I/O pins. Without any programming, will pins M8 and M9 (for the FBGA-256 package) be in DEV_OE and DEV_CLRn modes respectively? Or will they be in the I/O mode?

Thanks,

Noah

0 Kudos
NBurt
Beginner

To clarify, I'm wondering what the state of those two pins will be in in User-Mode Operation if during t_CONFIG, the CPLD isn't configured.

Altera_MAX II Power-Up Characteristics Graph.JPG

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Noah,

By default, both the pin are I/O pin. You will need to set them in Quartus if you want to have dev_clrn and dev_oe feature enabled.

So, I/O pin will be in tri-stated. For unused pin, which you do not configure anything on the pin, by default is in tri-state mode. However, it can be changed depending on your Quartus design. To check your unused pin state in user-mode, kindly go to:

Assignment -> Device -> Device Pin & Options -> Unused Pin

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
NBurt
Beginner

Hi YL,

Thanks, that's helpful. So to clarify, what you're saying is that:

• The IO/DEV_CLRn and IO/DEV_OE dual purpose pins by default will be in IO mode.
  • All IO pins are always in tri-state mode during power-on.
  • Unless I configure the IO pins differently, all will be in tri-state mode once the device has reached user mode.

Does that sound accurate? Also, would you say that the IO/GCLKx pins are also in IO mode by default?

Thanks,

Noah

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Noah,

For GCLK pin, you can assign input clock source to them and do some setting on Quartus.

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/an/an428.pdf (Page 13)

Else, it will be used as I/O pin.

Regards,

YL

0 Kudos
NBurt
Beginner

So are they I/O pins or GCLK pins at default? Remember, I'm not programming my part.

0 Kudos
YuanLi_S_Intel
Employee

Hi Noah,

They are IO by default.

Thank You.

0 Kudos