Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20639 Discussions

Why Gated clock design has better FMAX?

RDM
Beginner

I've been reading "RTL Hardware Design Using VHDL: Coding for Efficiency, Portability, and Scalability" by Pong P. Chu. I'm in section 9.1.2 ("Misuse of gated clocks"), which explains that we should not manipulate the clock signal in RT-level design. The author proposes as example a binary counter with enable input signal. He shows two architectures. Listing 9.3 uses a bad RT-level design practice, which is a gated clock to suspend system operation. Listing 9.4 essentially routes the register output as a possible input and solves the "poor design".

However, when I tried to compile using Quartus II had a very strange "FMAX" results. 

1. Listing 9.3 – Area: 5 LE. FMAX: 761.04 MHz
  2. Listing 9.4 – Area: 5 LE. FMAX: 171.7 MHz

Why is FMAX so different? I couldn't explain it.

More info:

• Quartus Version: Version 18.1.0 Build 625 09/12/2018 SJ SE
  • Device: EP4CE115F29C7
  • Clock Constraint (SDC): create_clock -name clk -period 50MHz [get_ports {*}]

--============================= -- Listing 9.3 gated clock --============================= library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity binary_counter is port( clk, reset: in std_logic; en: in std_logic; q: out std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) ); end binary_counter;   architecture gated_clk_arch of binary_counter is signal r_reg: unsigned(3 downto 0); signal r_next: unsigned(3 downto 0); signal gated_clk: std_logic; begin -- register process(gated_clk,reset) begin if (reset='1') then r_reg <= (others=>'0'); elsif (gated_clk'event and gated_clk='1') then r_reg <= r_next; end if; end process; -- gated clock gated_clk <= clk and en; -- next-state logic r_next <= r_reg + 1; -- output logic q <= std_logic_vector(r_reg); end gated_clk_arch;   --============================= -- Listing 9.4 --============================= architecture two_seg_arch of binary_counter is signal r_reg: unsigned(3 downto 0); signal r_next: unsigned(3 downto 0); begin -- register process(clk,reset) begin if (reset='1') then r_reg <= (others=>'0'); elsif (clk'event and clk='1') then r_reg <= r_next; end if; end process; -- next-state logic r_next <= r_reg + 1 when en='1' else r_reg; -- output logic q <= std_logic_vector(r_reg); end two_seg_arch;

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The constraint should be create_clock -name clk -period 50MHz [get_ports {clk}]

Note that the result might vary even if the same design is compiled for several times due to different placement and routing.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
RDM
Beginner

Hi,

I changed the SDC and had the same strange results. The "gated_clk_arch" architecture has a FMAX much bigger than "two_seg_arch" architecture. 

I always get the same results whether I use the same Quartus Version and same vhd, even on Linux or Windows. Doesn't matter how many times I compile the design. I get different placement and routing just when I change the constraints (*.SDC), the code (*.VHD) or some Quartus configuration (Optimization Technique, Logic Lock, etc.) .

Thanks

0 Kudos
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Listing 9.3: Referring to Line 30, gated_clk <= clk and en; , en is added to control the gated_clk. The data delay from r_reg[*] to r_reg[*] is smaller compared to Listing 9.49.3.PNG

Listing 9.4: Referring to Line 54: r_next <= r_reg + 1 when en='1' else , en is added to control the register. The data delay from r_reg[*] to r_reg[*] is larger due to the additional combi logic between the register. This is why Listing 9.3 has better Fmax.

9.4_2.PNG

Thanks

0 Kudos