Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
Announcements
Need Forum Guidance? Click here

Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
19202 Discussions

Why Gated clock design has better FMAX?

RDM
Beginner

I've been reading "RTL Hardware Design Using VHDL: Coding for Efficiency, Portability, and Scalability" by Pong P. Chu. I'm in section 9.1.2 ("Misuse of gated clocks"), which explains that we should not manipulate the clock signal in RT-level design. The author proposes as example a binary counter with enable input signal. He shows two architectures. Listing 9.3 uses a bad RT-level design practice, which is a gated clock to suspend system operation. Listing 9.4 essentially routes the register output as a possible input and solves the "poor design".

However, when I tried to compile using Quartus II had a very strange "FMAX" results. 

1. Listing 9.3 – Area: 5 LE. FMAX: 761.04 MHz
  2. Listing 9.4 – Area: 5 LE. FMAX: 171.7 MHz

Why is FMAX so different? I couldn't explain it.

More info:

• Quartus Version: Version 18.1.0 Build 625 09/12/2018 SJ SE
  • Device: EP4CE115F29C7
  • Clock Constraint (SDC): create_clock -name clk -period 50MHz [get_ports {*}]

--============================= -- Listing 9.3 gated clock --============================= library ieee; use ieee.std_logic_1164.all; use ieee.numeric_std.all; entity binary_counter is port( clk, reset: in std_logic; en: in std_logic; q: out std_logic_vector(3 downto 0) ); end binary_counter;   architecture gated_clk_arch of binary_counter is signal r_reg: unsigned(3 downto 0); signal r_next: unsigned(3 downto 0); signal gated_clk: std_logic; begin -- register process(gated_clk,reset) begin if (reset='1') then r_reg <= (others=>'0'); elsif (gated_clk'event and gated_clk='1') then r_reg <= r_next; end if; end process; -- gated clock gated_clk <= clk and en; -- next-state logic r_next <= r_reg + 1; -- output logic q <= std_logic_vector(r_reg); end gated_clk_arch;   --============================= -- Listing 9.4 --============================= architecture two_seg_arch of binary_counter is signal r_reg: unsigned(3 downto 0); signal r_next: unsigned(3 downto 0); begin -- register process(clk,reset) begin if (reset='1') then r_reg <= (others=>'0'); elsif (clk'event and clk='1') then r_reg <= r_next; end if; end process; -- next-state logic r_next <= r_reg + 1 when en='1' else r_reg; -- output logic q <= std_logic_vector(r_reg); end two_seg_arch;

0 Kudos
3 Replies
KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

The constraint should be create_clock -name clk -period 50MHz [get_ports {clk}]

Note that the result might vary even if the same design is compiled for several times due to different placement and routing.

Thanks.

RDM
Beginner

Hi,

I changed the SDC and had the same strange results. The "gated_clk_arch" architecture has a FMAX much bigger than "two_seg_arch" architecture. 

I always get the same results whether I use the same Quartus Version and same vhd, even on Linux or Windows. Doesn't matter how many times I compile the design. I get different placement and routing just when I change the constraints (*.SDC), the code (*.VHD) or some Quartus configuration (Optimization Technique, Logic Lock, etc.) .

Thanks

KhaiChein_Y_Intel

Hi,

Listing 9.3: Referring to Line 30, gated_clk <= clk and en; , en is added to control the gated_clk. The data delay from r_reg[*] to r_reg[*] is smaller compared to Listing 9.49.3.PNG

Listing 9.4: Referring to Line 54: r_next <= r_reg + 1 when en='1' else , en is added to control the register. The data delay from r_reg[*] to r_reg[*] is larger due to the additional combi logic between the register. This is why Listing 9.3 has better Fmax.

9.4_2.PNG

Thanks