Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20957 Discussions

Why doesn't my DE2-115 Altera FPGA board want to be programmed? (keeps getting failed when i try programming to USB-blaster)

SFærø
Beginner

I was creating software in Eclipse for my FPGA board, which I had programmed with VHDL and Qsys to make an embedded computer system. I was using my oscilloscope to measure my EX_IO pins, since I was designing an I2C function and wanted to see if the SCL and SDA functions were working. All of a sudden when i tried to run the software code after i changed it a bit, i got an error that the NIOS was missing (it had worked like 2 seconds earlier). When I tried to reprogram the board, I kept getting (FAILED) in the progress bar. When I then looked at my board, I noticed that the LCD display didn't show what it usually showed, now it only shows black boxes on the first row. When I touch the back of the board after letting it stay on for a little while, it gets hot, which I'm not sure only now started happening, or if that part is normal.

In short, the boards USB-blaster programming function all of a sudden stopped working, the board won't talk with the computer at all, and it won't reset to the usual crazy blinking like it always does when the board is turned off and on again.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
SAR
Novice

[QUOTE]In short, the boards USB-blaster programming function all of a sudden stopped working, the board won't talk with the computer at all, and it won't reset to the usual crazy blinking like it always does when the board is turned off and on again.[/QUOTE]

"Do you mean auto detect is not working" & "factory default image is not loaded"

May some IC would have damaged or power issues.

1. Check if any power or ground are shorted
  2. Check FT245 OR MAX II IC and its power.
  3. Check all the components on power path(Capacitors and converter).

0 Kudos