Programmable Devices
CPLDs, FPGAs, SoC FPGAs, Configuration, and Transceivers
20703 Discussions

altera_avalon_sgdma.h not found during BSP build

Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I'm trying to make the app/bsp for the simple socket server plus application on a NEEK board (Cyclone III Starter board w/ NEEK upgrade kit daughter card). I can run the binaries fine, but when I try to build the system I get the following error when compiling alt_sys_init.c: 

./drivers/inc/iniche/ins_tse_mac.h:34:38: altera_avalon_sgdma_regs.h: No such file or directory 

./drivers/inc/iniche/ins_tse_mac.h:35:33: altera_avalon_sgdma.h: No such file or directory 

./drivers/inc/iniche/ins_tse_mac.h:36:44: altera_avalon_sgdma_descriptor.h: No such file or directory 

This is repeated for a few other files. 

I'm running 9.1sp2 software versions on a Vista machine. This seems to point to files missing from my installation. I haven't seen anyone else mention this problem in the forums. 

Anyone have an idea what the problem/solution is? 

Thanks in advance, 

Brian
0 Kudos
6 Replies
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I am facing exactly the same problem with Nios II 9.1 Software Build Tools for Eclipse running in a Windows Vista 64 bits machine. I am trying to generate the Simple Socket Server and a BSP from the Template. The target is the Stratix III Development board. 

Those file are not copied to the BSP folder, so the error comes up. Does anybody have any clue to solve this situation? 

Thanks in advance, 

Javier
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I resolved this problem (yesterday) by going back to version 9.0sp1 of the Quartus and NIOS2 software. 

I was using 9.1sp2. 

Brian
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

During the process of debugging this problem, I had a suggestion from Altera support that somewhat helped. They suggested that I add a custom search path in BSP editor so that the drivers could be found. Here's the text of their message: 

I think that this is caused by the driver list is not updated, please try the method as below: 

- Open BSP Editor, go to ‘Tools’ -> ‘Options’ 

- Click at ‘Custom Component Search Paths…’, click at ‘Add…’ button, and add the SGDMA path, click at ‘OK’ button. 

- Go to ‘File’ -> select ‘New BSP Settings File’ to open the ‘New BSP Settings File’ window 

- At ‘Software’ part, click at ‘…’ to select the path of ‘BSP Settings File name’ 

- At ‘Hardware’ part, click at ‘…’ to select the path of your .sopcinfo file and ‘Convert SOPC Information File Path’ menu pop up, select ‘Yes’ 

- Click at ‘OK’ button. Please see attachment for screenshot/ example. 

- The new BSP settings file will regenerate. 

If the above method cannot help, please be suggested to upgrade the SOPC component in order to get synchronize the drivers with the components. I have upgrading my project which build in version 8.0 and upgrade the project by re-generate the SOPC Builder project, then recompile the Quartus II project.  

I used the .sopcinfo file and create a project in Nios II and the driver is appearing in the list. Please see attachment. 

When I did this, I was able to see the "missing" drivers. However, there were several other build problems that I kept chasing after that.  

When I reverted to older software, it worked without a hitch. 

There should be a trivial way to port a design from one software version to the next. Or at least a tool that can identify where potential problems might exist when using a project built with an older version.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

Go here to get access to an older software version: 

ftp(colon)//ftp(dot)altera(dot)com/outgoing/release/ 

Sorry, I'm too new to post the above as an actual link. The substitutions you need to make should be obvious.
0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was able to compile and run Simple Socket Server when I configured the project with a sopcinfo file generated by Quartus 9.1. In my previous post, I was using a sopcinfo generated by a Quartus 9.0

0 Kudos
Altera_Forum
Honored Contributor II

I was following the Arrow BeMicro SDK Lab Instructions when I came across a similar problem. The drivers relating to "altera_avalon_sgdma.h" were missing when I created the BSP. I was using Quartus II v11.0 but the project was created with v10.0. The solution was to open the "sopcinfo" file as a text file and change the version stated in the line below from "10.0" to "11.0". This worked a treat! 

<module name="sgdma_tx" kind="altera_avalon_sgdma" version="11.0">
0 Kudos